Band Aid for 4.0 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Sam, once you decide what you're going to finally do with the engine have you thought any thing about fuel? I'm thinking of getting rid of the fuel injection when I do mine. I need to do a lot more research...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2013, 02:42 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Sam, once you decide what you're going to finally do with the engine have you thought any thing about fuel? I'm thinking of getting rid of the fuel injection when I do mine. I need to do a lot more research...
To be honest, no. If I stay Rover, I was just planning on a uprated 4.6 with Bosch flow matched injectors, chip, and uprated radiator. So minimal changes if a Rover stays under the hood. Ive read briefly about a Projection system from Holley I believe, but I don't know how much hacking there would be or performance gain.

I'll be getting out of the service soon and moving back to Idaho, so I would like to keep fuel injection to run the constant elevation changes, big hills, and a wide range of outside temperatures.

Other than the benefit of less dependance on electronics, I am not mechanically savvy enough to know the benefit of a carb over today's FI systems. Perhaps flat landers such as yourself would benefit from carb?
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
To be honest, no. If I stay Rover, I was just planning on a uprated 4.6 with Bosch flow matched injectors, chip, and uprated radiator. So minimal changes if a Rover stays under the hood. Ive read briefly about a Projection system from Holley I believe, but I don't know how much hacking there would be or performance gain.

I'll be getting out of the service soon and moving back to Idaho, so I would like to keep fuel injection to run the constant elevation changes, big hills, and a wide range of outside temperatures.

Other than the benefit of less dependence on electronics, I am not mechanically savvy enough to know the benefit of a carb over today's FI systems. Perhaps flat landers such as yourself would benefit from carb?
I deal with a lot of elevation changes also but like the "less electronics" aspect...although it's a bigger can of worms. Normally I'm at 700' ASL but have done 14k ASL I do worry about all of that but wouldn't mind learning more. There are plenty of threads here that cover that, carb v. injectors. The PO of my 97 D90 have everything configured for Co. elevations.

Many considerations before I do the engine upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
The PO of my 97 D90 have everything configured for Co. elevations.
How? I am only aware of 1 adjustment that can be made to a 97 4.0 (base idle screw)
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
How? I am only aware of 1 adjustment that can be made to a 97 4.0 (base idle screw)
Bought it from Oxcart (Mark) in Co. he up graded the engine and tweaked the ECU. Search his threads going back 2 or 3 years ago...
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:05 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Call me crazy but I dumped some Marvel Mystery Oil in her over Christmas thinking there was nothing to lose except $8... Ticking has not reappeared over 350 miles since I did. Not saying it was or wasn't the Marvel, but Ive yet to clean out the oil pickup or change oil since this thread. Hmmmm...
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:44 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I wish I'd started a steady regiment of sea foam or ATF early on. I bought my truck with about 30k original miles 90k miles ago. I have no ticking or compression or oil loss problems yet but I'd be concerned about working loose 17 years of build up at this point. If the engine goes, it goes and I'll likely replace it with a 4.0 rebuild.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:02 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
16 hours into a 25.5 hour race our head starting making all kinds of ugly noise. So loud you could hear it over the open exhaust and power was down (3 seconds per lap). We were all set to keep it on the track until it grenaded (225k on it and well over 100 hrs of racing).
Then guy from a few pits down tossed us a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. What did we have to loose? Radioed the car in, dumped the additive in with the Mobil 1 and got back out on the track. Within one lap power was restored and it sounded silky smooth again. It was the last race for the car and motor so didn't bother do any forensics. But that stuff obviously freed up some blocked oil passage so the lifter(s) stopped banging on the cam lobe(s). Perhaps it's wetting properties came into play as well.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:21 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Hmmm indeed. The guys over at bobistheoilguy seem to be all about it. Im going to waste some more when I do my next oil change, and also in the LR3.

------ Follow up post added January 12th, 2014 11:21 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
16 hours into a 25.5 hour race our head starting making all kinds of ugly noise. So loud you could hear it over the open exhaust and power was down (3 seconds per lap). We were all set to keep it on the track until it grenaded (225k on it and well over 100 hrs of racing). Then guy from a few pits down tossed us a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. What did we have to loose? Radioed the car in, dumped the additive in with the Mobil 1 and got back out on the track. Within one lap power was restored and it sounded silky smooth again. It was the last race for the car and motor so didn't bother do any forensics. But that stuff obviously freed up some blocked oil passage so the lifter(s) stopped banging on the cam lobe(s). Perhaps it's wetting properties came into play as well.
What engine on what type of rig?
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i usually add half a bottle of marvel to my vehicles before i change the oil i also like techron and shell fuel no sludge or build up on the valve train
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:26 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Hmmm indeed. The guys over at bobistheoilguy seem to be all about it. Im going to waste some more when I do my next oil change, and also in the LR3. ------ Follow up post added January 12th, 2014 11:21 AM ------ What engine on what type of rig?
ChumpCar racing. M20 and E30 325is.
I'm not condoning the use of oil additives, but as a last resort to stay on the track or get home, give it a try -- it does work. But as Clay mentioned, who knows what kind of sludge it might loosen up only to clog up another passage or breather. Best to flush the oil and change the filter a few times after the knocking/banging subsides. Simple trick to try -- weigh the filters after draining them. The one catching the sludge will be apparent.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
16 hours into a 25.5 hour race our head starting making all kinds of ugly noise. So loud you could hear it over the open exhaust and power was down (3 seconds per lap). We were all set to keep it on the track until it grenaded (225k on it and well over 100 hrs of racing). Then guy from a few pits down tossed us a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. What did we have to loose? Radioed the car in, dumped the additive in with the Mobil 1 and got back out on the track. Within one lap power was restored and it sounded silky smooth again. It was the last race for the car and motor so didn't bother do any forensics. But that stuff obviously freed up some blocked oil passage so the lifter(s) stopped banging on the cam lobe(s). Perhaps it's wetting properties came into play as well.
Lucas thickens the oil. I doubt the passages were blocked but rather the clearances were too big for what had to be very hot, thin, synthetic oil. BTW Lucas works great in LT230s.
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Lucas thickens the oil. I doubt the passages were blocked but rather the clearances were too big for what had to be very hot, thin, synthetic oil. BTW Lucas works great in LT230s.
Could be, but it was a COLD 35f that October morning (3a) at Nelson's Ledges (Ohio) and the rocker noise came on quickly. We change all the fluids after each race and check the lash every third. No question it was a worn motor and just what Lucas had in mind for this product. Our "new" one last year was another junkyard pluck with 165k. Just a reseal, head gasket, pumps and good to go I hope for a few seasons. Needed to deck the head 0.012" after the second race, but the over heating was our bonehead error.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:47 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Think I screwed myself. Took the intake and valve covers off to find a sticky, sludgy disaster zone. A coat of hard sludge over everything and a lot of big, loose pieces floating around. Lots of carbon. I guess the Amsoil, Seafoam, and MMO are breaking up the gunk, but wow. I now doubt if the POs did any sort of normal oil changes on this truck.

I dont know how much sludge is too much. I tried vacuuming and scrapping off the big pieces.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rislone

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:54 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Really sorry to hear this Sam. If you find the chance please take some pics of what you've run into. I'm sure many of us have the same issue under the covers.

Clay

Old January 20th, 2014, 10:16 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4143150456.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	88223 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2396663520.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	88224 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3194992170.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	88225 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3187682994.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	88226

So am I sol?

This is after the vacuuming. I cant believe this truck ran like this, which also gives me hope that it will continue to do so. I could change out the heads, but I think there is probably enough wear on the lower end that it wouldn't be worth it. Frankly, I just want this thing to last for a couple more years and not spend bucks on another V8 now.
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

oh wow...and you drove it across country? yeah...I'd button it back up with the idea or plan to rebuild in a year...at least you know!
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:24 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Lol. Ive put 30k on her like this. Ive done overly regular oil changes with Amsoil and Rotella, so Im assuming she looked like this when I got her. The price was good enough and she ran smooth so I didnt bother doing any compression or vitals checks at the time.

I just dont want another V8. I want that 3.2 TDCI. I may have to get a pulled 4.0 for a temporary replacement...they seem to be pretty cheap.
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:29 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Might be worth rebuilding on a completely different engine without as much..."stuff" in it. I've never seen an engine that looked like that on the inside before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions