Balt, Md. Area Sandblast & Powdercoat? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Balt, Md. Area Sandblast & Powdercoat?

Can anyone recommend a place in the Baltimore area to have a hitch sandblasted and powdercoated? Anyone know off hand how expensive this is to have done? I bought a used hitch for my daily driver, and its got some surface rust, so I thought it might be a good idea to clean it up and re-coat it before installing it, but don't want to spend a fortune on it, would kill the deal I got to begin with, if you know what I mean..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It will kill the deal. Wire wheel it and hit it with some Krylon. Will look just as good and probably last just as long anyway.

charles
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I don't think too many places do both sandblasting and powdercoating so you might have to look for them individually.

Charles' option is a good one if you aren't too picky. But for some reason when I start messing with the wire wheel, it turns into bringing it down to bare metal, then primer, then paint, then clearcoat. Once you start adding up the costs of time and material, dropping it off at the sandblaster then the powder guy isn't too bad.

If you go the sandblast/powder route, look for some other items that might need it. It's almost always cheaper (per item) if you have a few items to do for both services. And is the reason, that a simple fuel pump swap for me, is turning into getting the rear sway and rear bumper blasted then PC'd. A long "Might as well" list and a Defender 90 go hand-in-hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
http://www.powderbarons.com/page/page/1071953.htm

They are in Middletown DE a bit north of Dover. I used them for my wolf wheels and they were awesome to work with.
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Basically all powdercoaters blast somehow - mine uses glass bead for the finishes they are trying to achieve. They all have to do some surface prep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I have used a place local to me (Manassas) for powdercoating and they were great. Great doesn't mean cheap though

I ended up sandblasting the pieces myself and got a very reasonable price on the powdercoating but having them do the blasting would have been cost prohibitive.

Based on what Scot said, I bet he'll feel the same way once he gets some estimates. If Manassas is not too far for you, his email is garryshafferdpc@aol.com

Dominion Powder Coating
8740 Virginia Meadows Dr
Manassas, VA 20109
(703) 530-8581

Doug C. here has used Atlantic powdercoating in Stevensville and recommended them iirc

http://www.atlanticpowdercoating.com/

hth
charles
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Call Trevor (Roverlab) and see where treasured sent stuff out for blasting and coating.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Basically all powdercoaters blast somehow - mine uses glass bead for the finishes they are trying to achieve. They all have to do some surface prep.
My guy just asks that it comes in with no paint or primer. I've sent items with surface rust and he'll take it so, they must do some prep like you said.
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My guys blast even if you bring them fresh parts, then they spray the stuff with some kind of phosphate solution.

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Thanks for the leads everyone. I will probably end up wire wheel and rattle canning it, for the economy of it, but I'll make some calls to settle the curiosity first. Thanks again everyone..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions