Ball Joint Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Ball Joint Questions

Elementary questions here, I need to replace the tie rod and drag link ends, and I noticed that Land Rover makes both right hand and left hand threaded ball joints. Do I need a couple of each threading, or are all of them right/ left handed?

Also, I was looking at replacing all the bushings/ ball joints associated with the a-arm/ wishbone/ whatever, and I was wondering what all I need/ should address while I have the thing off the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

They are right and left handed so that when you turn the rod to adjust them both ends will screw in or out. Otherwise turning the rod would not change the length between the ends.

So yes a left and right for the tierod. The crossrod (LR parts terminology) has a balljoint on one end only but I don't know if it's left or right handed. The other end of the crossrod is called a crossrod eye end (LR term). IIRC
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Is there any particular method to adjusting it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I don't know what the manual says but when I replaced mine I measured the overall length as is. Then when I replace the ends I just matched the dimension and reinstall. After it's reinstalled just turn the tierod to adjust the toe in of the wheels if needed. I don't know what LR recommends but I set mine with just a small amount of toe in.

I laid a 3' straight edge on each wheel with the help of my two kids. Then measured the distance between the straight edges in front of and behind the wheels. I made the front dimension about an eighth of an inch less than the rear just in front of the wheels.

After you put it together you can have a front end shop align it if you have doubts. They will do the same thing. Just more high tech.
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

The easiest method I have found is simply to count the threads showing at each end. That will put your alignment exactly back where it was. Makes life much easier.
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

You will need 2 right hand tie rods and 1 left hand tie rod. The drag link and tie rod on one end take a right hand and the tie rod on the opposite end takes a left hand.

I just ordered a set from Rover's North and installed them. In case you are interested in part numbers from RN they are:

TIE ROD END - RH THREADED 90/110, DISCO, R/ROVER
SKU: RNS069 (Order 2 of these)

TIE ROD END - LH THREADED 90/110, DISCOVERY
SKU: RNS070 (Order 1 of these)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
Elementary questions here, I need to replace the tie rod and drag link ends, and I noticed that Land Rover makes both right hand and left hand threaded ball joints. Do I need a couple of each threading, or are all of them right/ left handed?

Also, I was looking at replacing all the bushings/ ball joints associated with the a-arm/ wishbone/ whatever, and I was wondering what all I need/ should address while I have the thing off the truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions