ball joint on the rear link/a arm - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ball joint on the rear link/a arm

how hard is it to replace? I cant tell if it needs to be replaced but the little "rubber boot" on it appears to have dry rotted. what are symptoms of this needing replacement? thanks folks hope everyone has a good 4th
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

It is kind of a PITA replace sometimes, it is just the space you have to work in and it can be difficult to remove but by no means something that a DIY cannot do.

As far as symptoms go... loose rear end, rear end steering. I have not been able to easily tell if it is going bad untill removed. some say take a prybar and try to move it around to get an idea if it is bad but I can nevertell... if it looks bad, replace it it is only like 60$.
Old July 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
cool might put that on my to do list. any pointers on removal?
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

If it dosn't come out with a hammer get a bigger one!

seriously, soak it in your favorite blaster like product and try to get it out... if not heat in and start banging.
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:28 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
how hard is it to replace? I cant tell if it needs to be replaced but the little "rubber boot" on it appears to have dry rotted. what are symptoms of this needing replacement? thanks folks hope everyone has a good 4th

A good way to check it is set the handbrake and then have a buddy try to roll the truck back and forth by grabbing the rear tire (it takes a good bit of effort). Then put your hand on the link, if you feel clicking or slop you need to work on it. Its also a good way to check rear suspension bushings to find the rear steer and all mentioned above.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i just want to confirm you can get it out without having to take the entire a arm out. it does seem really tight in there maybe taking the gas tank out will free up some more space. i have heard there is an adjustable ball joint? whats that about?
Old August 27th, 2006, 05:02 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
The adjustable ball joints have a large slot in the top, you can disassemble them , regrease them and tighten them down to take up any play
The thread may well have siezed When I did mine I ended up taking the bal joint off.
Chock the wheels, support the chassis on stands with the bulk of the weight on the stands. remove the large nut securing the taper of the ball joint and give it a sharpish belt with a large hammer on the axle housing that contanis the taper. Then remove the two long bolts that hold the ball joint to the A frame. the ball joint should be free from the rest of the truck now. If replacing the ball joint try and get one fitted with a grease nipple thy last for ever if greased once in a while
You'll need access to a press of some sort to remove the ball joint from the housing attached to the A frame
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
IT would be easyest to just unbolt the joit holder from the arms and then the 30mm bolt from the axle. I have changed 2 of them and both times I needed a torch to heat it up then beat the shit out of it with a BFH...
Old August 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Yes, leave the arms on the truck
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
revive the thread. I am going to replace this the coming weekend. I think I will remove the entire a frame? Is there a bushing where the bolts (2) go through the frame? As far as the ball joint is concerned is it pressed into the rear a frame, or is it pressed into some type of "holder" that is pressed into the rear a frame? I am anticipating new rear trailing arms also. I have begun a regimen of PB Blaster, I am not so sure it will help very much. Thanks for the never ending insight.
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If you are going to replace the ball joint on the rear "A" frame over top of the axle you will need to jack up the rear of the vehicle so you have access to the nut (Jack on the frame not the axle). If I remember right a 33mm wrench fits. Once you get the nut off take a big hammer and rap the edge of the mount and the ball joint should come loose. after you have it loose there are two long bolts that hold the part that the ball joint is in. Remove those bolts and you now have the ball joint out where you can get to it and remove it from whatever the heck that piece is called. Anyway that's how I do it. Good luck
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Are there bushings where the a frame bolts to the frame?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions