Badger Top Vibrating At Freeway Speed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Badger Top Vibrating At Freeway Speed

I installed a badger top several months ago and have been plagued with a terrible drumming vibration in the front section of the top at speeds above 50 or so. I never had this with the Bestop and it is so bad it is almost impossible to stand for very long and the vibration renders the rear view mirror totally useless. I have tightened, adjusted etc to no avail. It is marginally better with windows open but still intense. Any thoughts anyone cares to share? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Easy. Call Badger and ask them what they're going to do to make it right. If I spent that much on a top ($2000+) I'd expect to see naked breasts on the other side of the moonroof. This is the first negative about those tops that I have heard. I want one bad cuz my Best Top is becoming a Worst Top.
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I have the optional naked breasts moonroof. Its amazing, it's like two moons with nipples.
Call Chris he will find out what the problem is and fix it or give you a fix for it. He has great service!
I had some extra noise with my top but it was due to my rack and roof top tent. The noise was worse without the tent (I guess due to the air flow), but quiet as heck without the rack. Al I her is my rattling door tops!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Do you have the roll bar pads installed? I had the same issue a few months back. Badger sold me a pair of roll bar pads and now it is perfect
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Thanks for the ideas. I emailed Chris at Badger and he responded within 10 minutes and had a number of ideas. Will see how things go from here. Once again appreciate the thoughts from all.
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

I wouldn't call it a negative. You are looking for a solution which you have not reached yet. I have found that the tops do different things at variable speeds, and to really add to it opening the windows or vents varying degrees causes different flapping. But there are some adjustments that can be made to take care of most of the problems.

Chris
Badger Coachworks
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

really appreciate your responsiveness chris. and for all reading this the top is incredible quality in terms of workmanship, materials, fit and overall looks and functionality. My guess is that the vibration is more my installation than anything having to do with the top.
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mine flaps without the roll bar pads. With them, Its fine and all I hear is loud ass tires and Tdi noise...
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Minall I hear is loud ass tires and Tdi noise...
Got to love that combo. I can drive for many hours content with that sound.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Doug, I still think the naked breasts moonroof thingy would be cool to ad to the TDI and loud ass tire noise. Just look at Chris' picture and I think I know where he got the idea for Clarence's top. Must be like looking at a frontal shot of a dead heat in a zepplin race.
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My girl has D's. Not into my truck @ that level...she's way more fun than the truck.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Well Doug's set.

hmmm was there a pun in there. 3 cheers for Dougs Ds.

"Daytime Driving in Doug's defender are Doug and Doug's Ds...delightful. Darn, don't have doug's defender or Doug's Ds'"

if only I had a time machine I could stop my brothers and sisters for dropping me on my head.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
badger