Badger Soft top - Proper Storage - Full Soft Tops and other tops - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Badger Soft top - Proper Storage - Full Soft Tops and other tops

These things are expensive so I don't want to screw them up while not even using them.

What have you guys seen as the best practice (and second best) for storing a full badger top? Mine came with the truck, so I never had the luxury of seeing how it was folded in its box for delivery (there's a craigslist ad that shows it stored in a box that got me thinking about this while I re-stored mine last night). If I do not have a huge or long flat surface in a garage upon which to store it, what is the next best practice?

I've had my Badger I w/ Gutter Kit off for a few months now, and it's been stored in my room (I do not have the luxury of extra space at my disposal). It was taking up way too much room in my closet, so I decided to really take my time, take all of the windows out and put them in the window bag, and try storing it again. I just moved it from my closet to under my bed (I have storage bins under my bed and there are about 5 inches of free space between the bed and the storage bins, where I've set the top out flat-ish).

I was careful not to bend the long plastic/rubber things that go into the header bar and belt rail system, as I'm sure prolonged exposure to bending would permanently affect its shape?

I know I could call/e-mail Chris on this, but he's got a lot on his plate right now and I don't want to waste his time on this.

Other tops and my storage practices:
Badger Windows - Badger storage bags. Store flat or hung up with my garment bags.
Badger Bikini with straps - roll up starting with the header bar side, roll to back, use straps to secure the roll
Full Badger Drop Curtain (top portion) - saved the fabric that Chris sewed in against the drop curtain window, place it back against window and roll up, being careful not to create any bends in the plastic window. Will likely buy window bag to store it flat.
Full Badger Drop Curtain (bottom portion) - just roll that sucker up separately.
Badger Tonneau (rear) - start at the back, fold over where the slots are for the roll bars. Better ways?
Surrey - haven't stored yet, but will likely store much the same as the bikini.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Keep dust and moisture away from canvas and eisenglass you should be okay.

I store my boat canvas stuff in my garage in plastic bags, sealed in the winter and they've lasted many many years. If you are storing for long periods of time, you should bring them first to a canvas person and have them professionally cleaned and treated (for waterproofing). Then put them in vacuum bags and toss some of those silicate packets in there to help with moisture.

I don't like to roll up the eisenglass, but sometimes its the only way to store. Just make sure it's clean and dry and you should be good to go.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

As much as my wife lvoes it, I keep mine under the bed in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

Other tops and my storage practices:
Badger Windows - Badger storage bags. Store flat or hung up with my garment bags.
Badger Bikini with straps - roll up starting with the header bar side, roll to back, use straps to secure the roll
Full Badger Drop Curtain (top portion) - saved the fabric that Chris sewed in against the drop curtain window, place it back against window and roll up, being careful not to create any bends in the plastic window. Will likely buy window bag to store it flat.
Full Badger Drop Curtain (bottom portion) - just roll that sucker up separately.
Badger Tonneau (rear) - start at the back, fold over where the slots are for the roll bars. Better ways?
Surrey - haven't stored yet, but will likely store much the same as the bikini.
Wow that's a lot of tops! Are you a Badger collector? I wish I had my Badger surrey still. That top was tits.
I just keep mine (badger 2 gk) folded neatly and placed in a large duffel bag in the garage when not in use. My trail top is thrown into a cabinet and pulled out when going on the trail. Haven't had any problems yet.
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
As much as my wife lvoes it, I keep mine under the bed in the summer.
Yeah, this was the flattest and safest place I could think of as well; with the added bonus of being temperature controlled.

------ Follow up post added August 4th, 2010 11:22 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred View Post
Wow that's a lot of tops! Are you a Badger collector? I wish I had my Badger surrey still. That top was tits.
I just keep mine (badger 2 gk) folded neatly and placed in a large duffel bag in the garage when not in use. My trail top is thrown into a cabinet and pulled out when going on the trail. Haven't had any problems yet.
Well my truck came with all black Badger tops...I just ended up adding a few more right when I got it. Also have the Badger door tops and black badger seat covers, but I don't plan on actually storing those. Have two sets of the rear tonneau and drop curtain, but the second set isn't a full drop (ceiling to floor), it's just the top with the window. The surrey isn't Badger unfortunately.

Chris definitely makes the best products for our trucks by far. Big thumbs up to him and his "team" up in MA.
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

I fold up my Badger Series Twillfast top and put it in a box, then tape it shut. It doesn't have to be cleaned before storing. Just don't double fold the windows.

The plastic windows are called press polished vinyl and there are many manufacturers making this product. The term "issenglass" is incorrect and this was pointed out to me by a knowledgable sales person at Manart- Hirsch some years ago. It's like calling all vinyl "Naugahyde", which is a brand name produced by Uni Royal. The original headquarters was in Naugatuck, CT- hence Naugahyde.

I will take photos of folding the top shortly.

Chris
Badger Coachworks
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I roll up my Best Top and store it my wakeboard bag. It's been working well for me for years...
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Thanks Chris. Will be useful for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I roll up my Best Top and store it my wakeboard bag. It's been working well for me for years...

What do you do with the header bar rubber/plastic thing? Do you roll that up at all or keep it flat?
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

You can fold the plastic strips. They are very flexible.
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Thanks Chris. Will be useful for sure.

What do you do with the header bar rubber/plastic thing? Do you roll that up at all or keep it flat?
My wakeboard bag is a bit longer than the width of the windshield. I roll it up keeping the header bar plastic stip flat, then strap two velcro straps around it to keep it from un-rolling, then slip it into the bag.
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerman View Post

The plastic windows are called press polished vinyl and there are many manufacturers making this product. The term "issenglass" is incorrect and this was pointed out to me by a knowledgable sales person at Manart- Hirsch some years ago. It's like calling all vinyl "Naugahyde", which is a brand name produced by Uni Royal. The original headquarters was in Naugatuck, CT- hence Naugahyde.

Chris
Badger Coachworks
Sorry for the misinformation. Like calling photocopies "Xerox" or tissue paper "Kleenex"
Anyway, my experience is in marine context and was always used "around the dock" as eisenglass .

BTW Chris, check out this site:
http://www.ez2cy.com/home.html

The material used might be applicable to your softop windows (in some cases where someone may want a rigid see through window)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
badger, soft top