Badger Options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2007, 02:30 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Question Badger Options

Just got off the phone with Chris from Badger Coachworks. What a SUPER nice guy. If more people in the business world were like him the world would be a better place. (Maybe that scores me a free badger hat with my order ) My question is such: To Sunroof or not to Sunroof, that is my question. I ordered a Badger I with the gutter kit. I plan on running the top all 4 seasons. I have a tupperware (read: fiberglass) top but really don't like it. Being on Long Island I can concievable run without the top for most if not all of the summer. I have a POS bestop bikini top that I can throw on in case of a shower or thunderstorm. So, seeing as how you guys are all knowing, Sunroof or not?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I have a sunroof on my fastback and it's kinda nice to just have to unzip something real fast to get some sun in instead of having to take the whole top off..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
The choice is yours, but I would consider that it will eventually scratch up and be dirty looking after a little while. It may even yellow with the exposure to the sun all the time. I think it is one more thing to worry about keeping clean and not worth the trouble, but that is just my opinion. FWIW

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Interesting thoughts guys. The panel is fixed it doesn't open. Maybe Chris should call it a Moonroof instead. It's just a plastic panel 17" x 36" sewn into the roof to let in light and let you look out. I imagine it would be nice on a rainy day.......anybody else want to throw in their 2 cents??
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
But Ryan, your sunroof is some wierd custom job - no way would I get the sunroof in the Badger top. I would only want double-polished vinyl in places where it could be zipped out and replaced. That area gets streched, abused, balloons going down the road, etc. I've got a sunroof in my SW roof and its always dirty.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:49 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Ahh, i'd probably skip it then.. like what was said above, more chance for problems..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I originally ordered my Badger top with a sunroof and then changed my mind. I've gotten a chance to see one first hand on my exact color truck. It was very nice looking...

The days that you don't want the sun shining down on you, a hat is the only option you have.

Here's another post on the subject.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

your bikini will not work with the gutter kit as it will not attached to the sides.
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Will a badger bikini or maybe a surrey work??
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Since I started that other thread you are mentioning, I have had some experience with the sunroof feature...

As soon as I placed my order with Chris (Badger II, rain gutter kit, WITHOUT the sunroof) I decided to remove my Bestop, sell it, and go topless until my Badger II arrived... The previous owner of my truck had included a Badger Strapless Bikini top but I had never installed it. Low and behold, it had A SUNROOF.... hmmmmmm

Sunroof + Bikini top---I love it!
I think the sunroof feature is great for the Bikini top because if my top is off I already plan on getting sun, but its nice having a little coverage up front from direct sunlight, wind, bird shit, tree sap, etc.... It is also great being able to see how close you are to the ceiling everytime you enter a new parking structure (pucker factor is slightly lessened). AND the sunroof gives you the added benefit of being able to see those Police Aircraft flying overhead (another story)....

Sunroof + the Badger full top---no way. I'd much rather not worry about scratching my $3K top, or watching it slowly deteriorate with grime and sun damage (yes, the Bikini top sunroof does show some areas of sun damage)....

That's my take...
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

and the badger bikini//surrey obviously works with the gutter kit.....right
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
and the badger bikini//surrey obviously works with the gutter kit.....right
You would request a bikini top that works with a gutter kit. Same with the surrey.
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

it should be noted that there are 2 kinds of Badger Bikinis.. one that works with the gutter kit, and one that does not.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Correct if you order a surrey or bikini from chris just make sure he knows you have the gutter kit.

I would go for the surrey because its faster to put on than the bikini and the passengers and gear are covered.

I have had just about every product that Badger makes and have to say they make great stuff.
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I know.. I kick myself for selling off all mine since now I am looking to go to a ST again.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
The days that you don't want the sun shining down on you, a hat is the only option you have.
I would think that Chris could make a canvas panel to zip/velcro over the snrf when you want shade and I am sure that Chris would use a UV stabilized plastic that will hold up for years and years. That being said, it is a tough decision. I really like snrfs in my trucks but I agree that it is asking for trouble having seams up there to stretch/rip etc.

I would probably skip the snrf and just remove the top when I want direct sun.
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up

I really liked the surrey too, but I have to say that I couldnt be happier with the STRAPLESS BIKINI and TONNEAU setup that I run. It provides a lot more light than a surrey and virtually the same amount of protection from the elements. Additionally, you can keep you gear hidden in the back for a little extra security. The rear bench seat folds down perfectly and the tonneau is flush with the tub--a great design. Here's a few pics of mine...

I also have the rear DROP CURTAIN, but I rarely have it installed. It's great for any surprise weather, but I really dont have much to worry about in Los Angeles. In fact I was thinking about selling the curtain by itself if anyone is interested in making an offer.... its only been in use a handful of times... I'll be posting it in the For Sale section this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	11050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	11051  

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	11052   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	11053  

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	11054  
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Paul,

Beautiful truck! Is there a tint in the sunroof?
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thanks Ade,

Yes, I just went down to my garage and checked on the drop curtain and noticed that the bikini and curtain both have tinting... That seems to be part of the reason that I am such a fan of this setup because the sun really doesnt kill you through the tint, but you still get the extra visibility.
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Paul, nice rig. I saw your post in the projects section about you sus/tire upgrade. Nice job, I always wanted those tires. I would be interested in your drop curtain if you are going to sell. In NY it's a great thing to have in the spring. You can run bikini or surrey with the curtain and still keep in the heat in the cab on chilly mornings. PM me with a price so I can think about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
badger