Badger I vs Badger II - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

Badger I vs Badger II

I am in the market for a new top. Narrowed it to a Badger. There are some scattered impressions and a really good comparison from Ron against the RN top. Can I get thoughts from people who own(ed) either a Badger I or II or both on the pros and cons?
Thx-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2010, 02:11 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

i have a BII with gutter kit.
second best mod i have made, the first is the roll up doors to replace the slider winder doors.

Pros:
a) easy to make into a surry, takes about 5 minutes if im lazy
b) great to quickly weather proof, just undo the staps and roll the sides down, and zip on the rear, again takes about 3-5 minutes depending on if your in a hurry or not.

c) the sides stay on so its easy to just roll them down if the weather is iffy (a lot here of course)
d) you only have to store the rear panel in the car (a stuff sack is included as well)

Cons:
a) the side jsut roll up but do not come off - i would like zippers as well, i'm not sure wy i need them but jsut want them.
b) it makes it a bit more complicated to remove the whole thing - not much just more material to deal with.
c) you ahve to remove the stays when you roll up the sides. takes almost no time but its a step. this only applies to the gutter kit version, i don't know what the Fabric door seal version looks like.

hope that helps. i love my BII though, great investment in the truck and with the GK and the roll up doors i'm more water proof than i was with sliders and a FG hard top.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is just preference between the two.

I had a badger II (would have kept it but new owner insistented on buying it with the yellow truck "chicky") only thing I did not like was the roll up sides so I would have preferred the badger I as I prefer to remove the sides as opposed to rolling them up.
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
I have a Badger II with the FDS and even with the rain here in Florida I think it seals up great. Chris told me this would be the case when I was deciding what to order. Chris is a great guy and would be better at answering your questions than all of us. I personally like the roll up windows quite a bit and use them frequently as it means not having to take off and store them as you would have to with the Badger I.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I have but one regret about my Badger I and that I didn't get a Badger II.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
how come no one wants a badger I with badger II buckles & straps? that way the badger I style right behind the driver/apssenger stays tight with the option of rolling up the 3 other windows? (does that make any sense? to anyone besides me?) where a badger II never gets REALLY tight behind the front two people.

in the spring and summers i tend to roll up the rear window in any top and string bungee cords on the left and right sides of the window over the roll bar and under the soft-top so the window rolled up, stays up. then you open the vents in the front and the window is up in the back and you have a nice breeze threw the cabin.

just my thoughts.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I like the B-2 but now that I know you cant remove the windows, I would get the B-1. Cant the B-2 be made with the removable windows?
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have a badger 1. The nice thing about the badger 2 I wish I had was the back fully unzips where as with the badger 1 you are left with the little windows.

I personally dont like the roll up windows. More crap to flap around and I keep the windows out all summer anyway. I would def go for the gutter kit. Just a cool accessory that makes the doors seem more solid.
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
B-1 all the way. I love just taking the windows out. I may not take the entire top off much in the summer months, but the windows mostly stay out of the truck May-August.

The gutter kit is also a must have.
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I have a Badger I with Gutter Kit. I loved it the two weeks I had it on, zipped out the windows, etc., but during the summer I'm going to do mostly surrey or bikini, tonneau, and top half drop curtain. Winter will be full Badger I and top and bottom drop curtain to seal off the front cabin.

Do you guys undo the top from the belt rails to zip those windows back in? The only time I unzipped all of the windows, that sealant was still sealing it to the GK, and re-zipping the windows was a PITA (top corners closest to the front cabin where the zippers start was the nearly-impossible part).
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Zip in and then put in belt rail.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Weird question and somewhat topic related: Does anyone know if a Badger Gutter Kit would fit a Rovers North "ripoff" top? The RN top seals well behind the front seats but drips pretty good over the front windows. For what I do and need, the RN top is fine and came with the truck but there could be improvements to it.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm assuming the RN top only has the snaps over the door tops? There may or may not be enough material to fit over the GK, but if so, you may be able to have some professional sew/install velcro straps into the top that would go through the GK holes, then loop around the footman loops that are in the GK.

Here are some pics I took of my GK.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=26
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij

No, it will not without modifying the top.
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks Ron and thanks Josh for the pics and information. I've been thinking of some little mods for the RN top and will try it out at some point. For the $700 price of the GK I'll see if I can get it a little more sealed better on my own. If it was an easy fit, I'd think of ponying up for it. Thanks again :
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Let's get Chris to make a B3, with zip off side windows and the rest of the B2 features. That would be the perfect top. I have not put my ST on since MAR of 2004. I would use it now, but I run a surrey and only really need the full top a few times a year.

Old May 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM
tjgraham
TJ Graham
'94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Let's get Chris to make a B3, with zip off side windows and the rest of the B2 features. That would be the perfect top. I have not put my ST on since MAR of 2004. I would use it now, but I run a surrey and only really need the full top a few times a year.
I'd buy something like that in a heartbeat.
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post

I agree. thats the perfect top... It would be nice to either roll them up or remove them completely qnd have a surry top for the summer.

I do not like the Gutter kit. When I remove my top, I do not like all that crap around my doors..
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The perfect top is a badger strapless bimini.

Ron
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:42 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The perfect top is a badger strapless bimini.

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
badger