Bad/Wet Crankshaft Sensor = Won't start? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
Angry Bad/Wet Crankshaft Sensor = Won't start?

Looking for a sanity check--I read on another LR site about the crankshaft sensor being a potential cause for the engine not turning over and staying on. I am looking for feedback from anyone who has had that issue or thinks my diagnosis is off base.

My upper radiator hose blew (another story) so I changed it out and hosed down the mess. When I was done, I cranked up the 1997 NAS 90 but when I released the key the engine immediately sputtered and shut down. Tried it a few more times: It cranked up and sputtered out almost immediately. Sounded like misfiring at first (A time ago I rearranged the plugs and learned all about misfiring!) and there was an odor of gasoline.

The fuel is getting there; the key is getting the starter going and it sounds like there is spark at--least for the moment that the starter is cranking. Soon as I release the key it dies! The plugs/wires all good and in the right order. The coils (pack) could not have all gone to sh-- in one flash so I am ruling that out...at least for now. Fault codes showing Multiple Misfires 0300 and Excessive emission fault 0406 and some other nasty digits. I pulled the sensor and it seems to have gotten soaked but wouldn't it usually get soaked driving on the highway during rain?

Prior to all this, I never had a problem with my engine and it ran fine a few days earlier.

Is it safe to say the crankshaft sensor may be the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor but still won't run. I posted a video of the dilemma. Comments appreciated! http://youtu.be/yQqsHn6Km3A
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do you get the check engine light to come on and then go off after a few seconds when you first try to start it?

If not, the ECU got wet.

Also, try starting foot to the floor and try starting with the MAF unplugged.
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2012, 07:35 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
The engine light goes on momentarily then off when I turn the key to start. http://youtu.be/PVOH1DXB7l4

I also tried taking the MAF off and keeping the pedal down. I noticed that when I disconnected the MAF there were more consistent attempts by the engine to turnover. Like in the video, sometimes I turn the key and "click" only. Do you think the coils are playing any role in this? I cant imagine how to attack the ECU...sounds expensive to replace. I would like to be really sure about it being the issue before I drop more wampum on this mess.

I appreciate the feedback!
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Unplug MAF + foot to floor ==> no start?

Do you smell raw fuel?
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:44 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
As long as the key is turned all the way and the starter motor is engaged then I get the engine to crank up. I held the pedal down and it turned over (like in the last part of video) and the engine reved up but the starter motor has to remain engaged the whole time in order to keep the engine going. Once I let off the key the whole thing shuts down.

------ Follow up post added July 9th, 2012 07:46 PM ------

i smelled raw gas this time and each and each time I worked on this problem. I figured that meant fuel was not the issue. Am I correct?
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij

This is an odd one. Without unplugging it from the harness, can you unbolt the ECU and see if it has water in it? The only other thing I could think of would be the ignition switch is messed up. Did you mess with that?

BTW when you figure this out, change your oil asap as all the raw fuel in the oil is not good for the motor.
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
I will tackle the ECU and let you know. I had changed out the ingnition switch a few months back. I had no issues with it once I changed it out. That is a a good place to check out tomorrow. For all I know that went to crap too! Thanks. Keep you posted.
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
BINGO! My curiosity got the best of me so I wondered if the ignition switch was properly seated. I reached back there and pushed it in and the engine cranked right up. I apparently did not put the rear screw when changing the switch. Such a little problem caused me such enormous stress! I just turned the key a few times and felt the switch come out and the engine cut out. I am gonna have to find a new screw. Thanks for the idea to look there.
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Edit - Never mind, problem solved.

Glad you fixed it.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:22 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Glad it worked. That was an odd one. Change your oil or at least see if it smells like gas. Bearings don't like to run in oil mixed with gas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
crankshaft, sensor, start