Bad water pump? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM
REDROVERD90
JED SEEHORN

Bad water pump?

I have had some overheating issues lately and am trying to figure out the cause.
The top radiator hose stays soft even when the engine is warm.
When I let the engine warm to operating temp and check the rad. temp - the bottom is hot, but the top is cold.
I thought the rad was clogged, but im not sure.
I unhooked the top rad hose while the engine was running and up to temp to check for coolant flow but there was none. So i removed the thermostat altogether and checked again - still no water coming out of the top of the pump.
Shouldnt there be water flowing out of the top of the water pump?? - there is no thermostat in there to be stuck.
I guess its a bad pump? Could it be an air bubble?
I just thought id check before I go through all the trouble of changing the water pump - that it wasnt something stupid.
Thanks
Jed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2006, 07:53 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

No matter what when you pull the top hose off coolant should come pooring out. SOunds like you need at least 1/2 a gallon of coolant to bring it up to full. If you still think the pump is bad try rocking the pulley back and forth, if it moves then it is in need of replacing, if it is solid then it should be OK.
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:36 AM
REDROVERD90
JED SEEHORN

I think the system is full. I filled the radiator to the top using the plug on the left side of the radiator. I topped off the expansion tank, and ran the heater.

Could there be an air pocket? I read somewhere of someone who had installed a new water pump and had an air pocket at the pump and no water would come out. They jacked up the drivers side of the vehicle, and it started to pump. I tried this but still got nothing.

When you say to move the pulley should I remove the belt first? Should it have any movement at all if its ok.
I hate to ask all these stupid questions but if I dont want to replace the pump if its still good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2006, 08:53 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I'm a bit new to D90's, but shouldn't you be filling the coolant tower until the rad is full, cap the rad, top up the tower, cap that, then half fill the expansion tank?
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:12 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If it is a 97 then their is no fill tower, but if it is a 94 or 95 then it should be filled by the pipe going to the heater, it has the same cap as the top of the radiator. But as I said before, if you can pull the top hose off the radiator and nothing comes out then the radiator is not full, no matter what year.

For the water pump, pull the belts off, if they are on there may be too much tension to check the pump for play. When they are off there should be no play between the pulley and the pump. Is it leaking coolant at all? There is a weep hole on the water pump under the pulley, and when the pump goes bad coll ant will leak out.
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:06 AM
REDROVERD90
JED SEEHORN

It is a 94.
When I pull the top hose water does come out of the top of the radiator.
Just not out of the top radiator hose - where it goes to the engine.
I will try to refill again.
and check for play in the pulley
Thanks
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
jdvega
J. D. Vega
'94 NAS Defender 90

That top hose should be full of coolant/water. You should ba able to shake it and hear the liquid inside. If it's not full, you need to add coolant at the radiator or heater return line. The resevoir should be only half full at the most, so drain some if there's more. I just changed the water pump on my '94 last weekend because my pump was bad. When I was done I took a few fills to get the system full. First, I filled it. Then, I'd Start it, get it up to operating temp, turn it off, let it cool some, use a rag open the resevoir (to release the preasure), then topped off the radiator. Did that 3 or 4 times. Each time I needed about half a gallon. To check the pump, you don't have to remove the belts because there are jockey wheels that tension both belts on the water pump pulley. Just loosen them and all tension will be off the pulley. Check for coolant inside the pulley leaking from the pump shaft.

JD

94 NAS D-90

Dallas, Texas, USA
www.jdvega.com
Old September 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how hard is it to replace the water pump? i looked and it seems invovlved I see coolant dripping out of the front of it drip drip drip but enough its easily noticable. anything else that would be smart to go ahead and do while im in there???
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Monkeyboy

Probably took me 2.5 hours on the '97. Only one belt makes it a little faster....and tke gasket face cleaned up much easier that when I did the Disco.
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how long "should" a water pump last. is it a PITA?
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:48 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I think the water pump is going out on our Red '95 also. It's leaking coolant around the shaft area on the water pump. Time to start shopping for a water pump. Does anyone know of a generic model that will fit our engine? Or do I have to go OEM?
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Anybody?
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Type in land rover defender water pump on ebay. I just bought one today.

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water, water pump