Bad noise, suggestions needed... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question Bad noise, suggestions needed...

Last year I heard this noise coming from my side (driver's side) when turning left and with center difflock engaged.
It's a clear "clok crick crack clack".
Only when turning left, and with center difflock engaged.
Time went by and I finally stripped the whole hub in pieces at the beginning of August,
thinking of a worn out CV.
Pulled the Longfield out, CV was fine (after 5 years of 285/75 SSRs and random 36" 13 TSLs), the splined of the axles (CV side) were worn out instead , but still straight, not twisted.
It looked weird to me but I thought fair enough after 5 years of use and random abuse, and replaced the axle and the CV just in case...

Yesterday the noise came back.
Again, only when turning left and with center difflock engaged.
I haven't stripped the hub again (yet), but I'm scratching my head as I can't understand what the CV got to do with center difflock and why on earth only when turning left (if worn, shouldn't it "click" all time??).

If I engage the difflock and turn left on gravel or when in woods (soft/hard ground, sometimes slippery, sometimes not), I hear the noise.
If I engage the difflock and turn on grass, not a whisper.

Let's supposed the new CV and axle are fine...and not causing the noise...what else could it be?
I thought of...worn U-joint at the driveshaft?

I have zero ideas and I'm

Hints???
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2010, 02:17 PM
ed110
Ed Downey
110 300Tdi SW

Have a look at the drive shaft. I had the same thing and the U joint was worn out on the front prop.

ed
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

They'll do this when they're dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Cause was much more simpler and stupid (and partly my fault), but I will check the U-joints anyway,
thanks!

Cube will be back rolling soon...

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
Cause was much more simpler and stupid (and partly my fault), but I will check the U-joints anyway,
thanks!

Cube will be back rolling soon...

What was the issue?
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Bronze bushing popped out of place...

But it's 50% my fault
new CV, old bushing needed to be bored out like 0.0000000000000000000000000000001mm,
I didn't and nor did the machinist, so it got stuck to the stub axle and popped out...

All fine, no damage, just a waste of time and a parked D90...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushedcv.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	31179  
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions