Bad noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Bad noise

So lately when I come to a stop I hear a grinding noise in the front of the truck. It happens when I have the clutch in, and doesn't matter if I have the brakes on or not, but only occurs at a few MPH and only after the truck warms up a bit. It happens with a pretty rapid frequency, like it has something to do with the speed of the driveshaft or differential rather than the wheels. Any one else have this problem at some point in time? I might park it till I figure this out.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

My parking brake drum has been doing that on and off for years. Took me a LONG time to find it, I initially started with pulling CV joints and all the front end stuff.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I was ready to jack up the front end and start turning the wheels to see what was going on.

So what do you do about that, just change the brake pads on that drum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Took it off, cleaned it up with a scotch bright pad, adjusted it, and put it back together.

-Hans

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Ok thanks. It is getting worse and I'm pretty sure that drum is the culprit. When I was on my way home the truck was starting to shudder a bit at even higher speeds and felt really odd. I parked it and looked underneath and the drum was very hot and smoking. Bummer. I hope I didn't completely toast it.
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

there isn't much too the whole assembly at all, not much to ruin other than the shoes.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions