Bad Flasher tic-tock?! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM
1997 Hardtop
Bad Flasher tic-tock?!

While driving in to work today (I think after changing lanes), I started to hear the "tick-tock" sound associated with the turn signal indicator or hazard lights...but I saw nothing flashing on the dash, and I didn't have either lights engaged. I stopped to see if the light in the dash was wrong, and find out if I had any lights flashing outside. I had none. Other than annoying, no big deal...until I stopped at my destination, turned the car off, and started getting out. With the car off, I could still hear the sound "tick-tock" at work, I'm afraid the battery'll eventually die.

Is it the flasher? If so, where and how to R/R? I'm hoping I can track one down and swap it out before the battery dies.

Thanks, all!

Old December 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Thomas F
Recently Roverless
I had that same thing happen to me twice. I heard the noise but no lights and it even went on after I truned the car off (like your scenario). I never figured out a solution, I think I just tinkered with the blinkers and turned the car on/off a few times. After about the the third time I turned the engine over it stopped. I am also curious to hear if anyone has any suggestions.

Old December 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)
I've had that happen, it was an alarm the P.O. installed (at least I thought it was).

This may not be an option for you all though (since you may not have an alarm).
"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
This problem only plagues 1997 D-90s. The gems control unit works in conjunction with an engine immobilization ECU. It is this ECU that is making the noise. It has been gutted of it's alarm functionality and serves only to provide a ground path to the starter relay via the P/N switch to allow the vehicle to start. Occasionally they would trip and the ticking you hear is the alarm ECU trying to flash the flashers and horn...except it is not wired to do it. My suggestion is to remove the instrument binnacle to access the alarm ecu. it is a light green color. Unplug the connector and ground the black/orange wire and see if the truck will start normally. I don't remember if the alarm ECU and the gems ECU need to communicate or not in order for the Gems unit to activate spark and fuel on a's been a while. If they don't need to communicate, grounding the black/orange wire and leaving the alarm ecu unplugged should eliminate the problem. If the truck won't start with the connector unplugged and the Black/orange wire grounded, them comms between the ECUs are necessary. In this case you may have a faulty alarm ecu. Or, if the problem is intermittent, it could be caused by stray radio waves interfering with the alarm ecu, somehow setting it off. it is designed with a receiver for the key fob transmitter. In a Discovery or RR, the gems and alarm ecus communicate. The alarm ecu tells the gems ecu that it received a correct unlock signal and to mobilize the engine with fuel and spark and then connects a ground path for the starter relay to operate. A faulty alarm ecu can also cause a no start or intermittent no start if the relay on the circuit board goes out.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)
Old December 13th, 2005, 02:13 AM
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel
wow Rob. With Pendy so busy in the shop and not showing up on the board, it seems like someone else has filled the void.
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
Sheki, you are a wang too.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions