Bad day Friday for NAS 110 - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
jumping jellyfish
Ty
1993 NAS Defender 110 286/500

Chris,

I can't tell you how sick to the stomach I feel seeing this. I'm so sorry. Don't let the insurance company take the vehicle. Don't let them salvage it either. I too had no idea about oil cooler line failures until it happened to me about eight years ago. I now have a 99.9% complete NAS110 with the original, not salvage title.

My insurance company wanted to total my 110 saying it was 85% damaged - $17k on a truck worth 19k. When I asked where they got a value of $19k they admitted they really had no idea what a 110 was. They refused to talk about buying it back as salvage saying it was a separate transaction and I could only start that process after they took possession of the vehicle. They offered no guarantees and even said the truck would likely be sent to another state. I have actual value policies so I told them to buy me another 110 for $19k or whatever they could find a 68,000 mile 110, or any NAS110 for. I sent them everything I could to show current high dollar sales and luckily it worked - I got a call back saying they would be repairing, not totaling my 110.

$17k in repairs was an unrealistic number. In the end I think they paid more than $31k. And the fire was seemingly small since I was able to shut the engine down within a minute. My fire never crossed the bulkhead and was confined mostly to the oil spray area, wiring harnesses, AC box and melted bonnet. Luckily, aside from melted clumps of wires and insulation and oil everywhere, my engine suffered no mechanical internal damage. The various wiring harnesses, specific to NAS110's cost upward of $6k and it took a long time but we were able to get them new. The AC box is ubobtanium but endless thanks to a fellow D-90 member for selling me one he had. Add in a new bonnet, a zillion little parts that add up really quickly, the labor to clean and dismantle and repair and repaint after a small fire that never reached the bulkhead and, yup, more than $31k. I took it back to NAS specs since the insurance company was having to pay a fortune for NAS specific parts that were getting more and more difficult and costly to find. Almost everyone told me to convert it to diesel but I wanted to have a complete NAS110 that I could always convert to diesel later if I wanted to while still keeping the original parts. Besides, the insurance company was responsible for repairing, not modifying it.

LRNA said it was an out of warranty vehicle. NHTSA said a limited edition of 500 vehicles wasn't enough to be traceable.

PM me if you need any help. My sisters live in Willowbrook and Warrenville so the next time I'm there the drinks are on me.

Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Ty - If you are buy Portillo's too, I will be there also. :-).
Greg, I think I may have seen your 110 at the Taste of Glen Ellyn back in 2007. Couldn't get your attention.

Old March 6th, 2013, 09:45 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Do you have any pictures of your engine bay after the damage happened?

Sorry that happened for you, glad to hear you held on to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping jellyfish View Post
Chris,

I can't tell you how sick to the stomach I feel seeing this. I'm so sorry. Don't let the insurance company take the vehicle. Don't let them salvage it either. I too had no idea about oil cooler line failures until it happened to me about eight years ago. I now have a 99.9% complete NAS110 with the original, not salvage title.

My insurance company wanted to total my 110 saying it was 85% damaged - $17k on a truck worth 19k. When I asked where they got a value of $19k they admitted they really had no idea what a 110 was. They refused to talk about buying it back as salvage saying it was a separate transaction and I could only start that process after they took possession of the vehicle. They offered no guarantees and even said the truck would likely be sent to another state. I have actual value policies so I told them to buy me another 110 for $19k or whatever they could find a 68,000 mile 110, or any NAS110 for. I sent them everything I could to show current high dollar sales and luckily it worked - I got a call back saying they would be repairing, not totaling my 110.

$17k in repairs was an unrealistic number. In the end I think they paid more than $31k. And the fire was seemingly small since I was able to shut the engine down within a minute. My fire never crossed the bulkhead and was confined mostly to the oil spray area, wiring harnesses, AC box and melted bonnet. Luckily, aside from melted clumps of wires and insulation and oil everywhere, my engine suffered no mechanical internal damage. The various wiring harnesses, specific to NAS110's cost upward of $6k and it took a long time but we were able to get them new. The AC box is ubobtanium but endless thanks to a fellow D-90 member for selling me one he had. Add in a new bonnet, a zillion little parts that add up really quickly, the labor to clean and dismantle and repair and repaint after a small fire that never reached the bulkhead and, yup, more than $31k. I took it back to NAS specs since the insurance company was having to pay a fortune for NAS specific parts that were getting more and more difficult and costly to find. Almost everyone told me to convert it to diesel but I wanted to have a complete NAS110 that I could always convert to diesel later if I wanted to while still keeping the original parts. Besides, the insurance company was responsible for repairing, not modifying it.

LRNA said it was an out of warranty vehicle. NHTSA said a limited edition of 500 vehicles wasn't enough to be traceable.

PM me if you need any help. My sisters live in Willowbrook and Warrenville so the next time I'm there the drinks are on me.

Ty

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Gregspitz
Greg
1993 defender 110 nas

This is as close as I. Can get because the hood release cable broke. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362657908.009906.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	67562
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Looking at it half glass full, you actually have minimal damage compared to others, including mine when I bought it! And I thought mine wasn't too bad when I got it as well. I'm still using the original front seat trim, since the prior owner had sheepskins on them which protected them. Did any fire damage work it's way into the dash/cabin area?

BTW, here is one lesson learned that you need to capture right now ASAP. Write down your last record odometer reading before the gauge is pulled and tossed. I didn't and my mileage is all approximate for eternity based on carfax last record and my overhaul. Not a big deal, but I like to keep track of chassis vs engine mileage for maintence records.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Did any fire damage work it's way into the dash/cabin area?
Here's the dash from his pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	te6uny4y dash 110 fire.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	67589  
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
my dash when I bought it. Feel any better? Even in this condition, Pendy was able to strip the bulkhead completely, chemical clean and repaint it, and sell it for me to someone else in great condition. I swapped only because I wanted traditional vents and the parcel tray. Something about it is so "had to have".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	instrument cluster.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	67590   Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger dash.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	67591  

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:59 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Why not band together and do a class action lawsuit with all the fire victims?
I was hoping we could get a team of lawyers from here to do just that. I am barred in DC, but I don't practice, which means I don't have malpractice insurance. I can do research and help out, but I can't be the lead guy.

B

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2013 11:00 AM ------

Oh and my damage was even less than that and cost me (my insurance company) 6k. Of course it was done by the dealer so it was like 800 in parts and the rest was in labor.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Only damage on my truck was a discharged fire extinguisher.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Only damage on my truck was a discharged fire extinguisher.
That was true of my second fire. My starter arced off and set a small one. I now have an extinguisher in everyone of my vehicles.

B
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I think diesel is the best fire prevention.

Old March 7th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
I need to mount an extinguisher in my 110. Any suggestions on a good spot?
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
The best place would be to mount it somewhere you can reach it quickly and easily while sitting in the driver's seat. Here is a pic of how I have mine mounted in my Jeep, but it should give you an idea of where you could mount in your Defender.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	833.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	67605  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Gregspitz
Greg
1993 defender 110 nas

Your dash and fire was way worse. I guess I feel better. Just glad no one has been killed yet.
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Since I have an interior rollcage hoop right behind the front seats, I have my fire extinguisher mounted up high and in the middle. With this location it's accessable from all 4 seating positions and doors with a simple quick release pin.

Semper Fi!
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Just as important as a fire extinguisher is a heavy set of leather gloves. fire extinguisher is useless if the bonnet is too hot to release the latch and lift with barehands while it is burning underneath. I installed military latches on my bonnet and plan to can my internal latch permanently. if you can't get to the fire within a minute of it starting, it's too late.

Old March 7th, 2013, 02:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Just as important as a fire extinguisher is a heavy set of leather gloves. fire extinguisher is useless if the bonnet is too hot to release the latch and lift with barehands while it is burning underneath. I installed military latches on my bonnet and plan to can my internal latch permanently. if you can't get to the fire within a minute of it starting, it's too late.
Better to NOT open the hood and give it oxygen, better to spray from under up toward the passenger side manifold, then open the hood.
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Just as important as a fire extinguisher is a heavy set of leather gloves. fire extinguisher is useless if the bonnet is too hot to release the latch and lift with barehands while it is burning underneath.
Pretty sure you DON'T want to open the hood. I would want to spray the extinguisher from underneath, shooting up at the fire without lifting the hood up, as lifting the hood up will usually only result in two things: singed arms and eyebrows and feeding the fire with the oxygen it so craves. I just burned myself the other day by opening the slow cooker lid up from the front. Heat escapes with amazing force.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2013 02:05 PM ------

Slow typer. Ron beat me.
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Better to NOT open the hood and give it oxygen, better to spray from under up toward the passenger side manifold, then open the hood.
The one thing that saved mine I think. I kept the hood closed and disconnected the battery until the FD could get there.

B
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Well, I guess circumstances will dictate. I had an engine fire while driving down the highway once in my Jeep CJ, and I was able to pull over and open the hood in less than a minute, and put the fire out with my extinguisher before it got too far out of control. I would spray from underneath to suppress the fire, then use that little time to get the bonnet open and put it out. I would think you'd be quite lucky to be able to actually put it out from spraying aimlessly from underneath.

Anybody else have actual experience with putting an engine fire out that can chime in?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, nas, nas 110