Bad CV...Possibilty of further damage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

Bad CV...Possibilty of further damage?

Ok, so I've got a 97 NAS with about 80k miles. I'm getting a grinding feeling/noise from drivers side front upon deceleration once I'm over 50-60 mph. The wheel bearings were replaced recently so I'm assuming it's the CV shaft. (Also ball/knuckle on that side is corroded so I'm assuming at some point the area had excess moisture which probably did not help the life of the CV)
I've got a big trip planned to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan...leaving tomorrow. I'm trailering her to the dunes.
My question-what is the worst that can happen if the CV completely blows when romping in the Dunes. Considering I just put 35's on stock axles I understand this is almost inevitable to blow this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

if it blows in the front you can lock the diff and disconnect front front Driveshaft and have emergency rwd.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenc1tj View Post
Ok, so I've got a 97 NAS with about 80k miles. I'm getting a grinding feeling/noise from drivers side front upon deceleration once I'm over 50-60 mph. The wheel bearings were replaced recently so I'm assuming it's the CV shaft. (Also ball/knuckle on that side is corroded so I'm assuming at some point the area had excess moisture which probably did not help the life of the CV)
I've got a big trip planned to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan...leaving tomorrow. I'm trailering her to the dunes.
My question-what is the worst that can happen if the CV completely blows when romping in the Dunes. Considering I just put 35's on stock axles I understand this is almost inevitable to blow this weekend.
Bring an extra CV and axle shaft....it's ~2-hours to change one out after breakage (less if you do it beforehand since you don't have to pull everything apart to clean out the bits from the swivel ball). BUT expect that if it goes it tends to grenade inside of the swivel ball housing....so you need to take everything apart and clean it thoroughly. We were blowing stock CVs all the time, so just got "used to it" that changing one out sitting on the ground back at camp was inevitable. However, a few of us - myself included - recently changed over the HD CVs and axles....contact Erik or Justin @ Lucky8 and they can set you up - definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

That said, in order to "limp" back to camp you can sometimes pull the front flange cap while in the field...and depending on how bad the carnage is this should allow you to drive back to camp. Alternatively, pull the entire CV/axle where it sits (which entails pulling at least the outer inspection cover from the stub axle & sliding out the CV/axle and cleaning out the bits so it doesn't toast your lower swivel ball bearing). Just remember, that when it does pop on you it does like to send shards everywhere inside of the swivel ball....that stuff NEEDS to be cleaned out to avoid any further damage or stuff floating around. *If* the damage is not too bad, you can also pull the front driveshaft as Matthew mentioned...however, the couple of times it happened to me blowing a CV things got pretty "bound up" inside of there so in one instance I had to pull the flange cap and the other I had to pull the entire CV. You just want to avoid the wheel motion grinding anything else up in there that shouldn't be....

If it was me, get on the phone and track down someone locally that's got a spare CV/axle for the appropriate side. Then change it out either beforehand or when you get to camp before you go wheeling. Would save you a lot of agony if it blows in the wrong spot. Or, alternatively you can wing it and if it gets you through the weekend just tackle it when you get back...but at a minimum be prepared to go into limp-home mode....
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

I like the idea of just changing it before if it's not that bad. I'm having a hard time finding one at any local auto parts stores. And these things loom expensive! At least on AB they are over $200. Seems like I should be able to grab a cheapo from Autozone or O'Reillys?
I'm going to upgrade my CV's this winter and also, this same side needs a new knuckle which I planned on tackling this winter. She gets stored when the snow starts flying so I'll have plenty of time to learn/endure the process
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:41 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Good advice from Jason. I've had a blown CV tear some stuff up.
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenc1tj View Post
I like the idea of just changing it before if it's not that bad. I'm having a hard time finding one at any local auto parts stores. And these things loom expensive! At least on AB they are over $200. Seems like I should be able to grab a cheapo from Autozone or O'Reillys?
I'm going to upgrade my CV's this winter and also, this same side needs a new knuckle which I planned on tackling this winter. She gets stored when the snow starts flying so I'll have plenty of time to learn/endure the process
Not sure if the standard box-stores will stock the CV or not (I'm guessing probably not).

If you swap it beforehand, you can probably get away with just the CV knuckle (RTC6862) and change over the existing axle shaft to the other/new(er) CV. Keep in mind, this is the same as the Disco 1's as well so you can use one of those. Honestly, I would just put the word out to anyone you know that's going (or is local to you) and has a Defender/Disco1 and see if they have any in their box of spares....literally in my trailer I have probably 4-CVs that I keep in my "spares" box...you must know someone locally that is at least 1/4 as insane as I am .

How far are you from IamKraig? He's in Northwest Ohio, and is one of those folks probably even more insane than I am! He's probably got enough spares to build several trucks...

But for $200, I'd put that money towards an HD set from Lucky8....
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 7th, 2016, 02:51 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

You won't find anything for your 90 at O'reillys except spark plugs and oil filters.

What vehicle did you own before this?

Probably the worst thing that can happen, safety wise, from driving on a blown CV is that the pieces will jam up in the swivel housing and lock up the steering.
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Description does not sound like a CV to me.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:51 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Gbr.

Great Basin rovers can rebuild it or answer your questions
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm just over the Michigan border in toledo. Piles of spares and happy to help. Just shoot me a pm and I will get you my cell.
Hope you have fun and finish without incident.
Kraig
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Heard Kraig hooked a brother up....that's why we keep him around !
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 8th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Heard Kraig hooked a brother up....that's why we keep him around !
Pretty sure he supplied 2 or 3 shafts in a single section of VOT a couple years ago. He's a good dude for sure!
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Spenc1tj
TJ Spencer
1997 NAS Defender

Yes, he did. Thanks Kraig! Our trip went great with no issues! Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-193761895.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	157567   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-454216688.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	157568  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions