Bad Cats - WHO CARES!? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up Bad Cats - WHO CARES!?

My passenger side cat is toast, and the CHECK ENGINE light is permanently illuminated. I am debating my options for replacement, but in the meantime here is my question:

IS IT DETRIMENTAL TO THE TRUCK TO RUN WITH BAD CATS?

Aside from having to look at the CHECK ENGINE light all the time, and aside from the fact that I would fail a CA emissions test next year -- are there any merchanical/preformance reasons to replace the cats immediately?

Thanks.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2008, 07:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If they plug up you're f*&Ed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

true that! Just wondering how your certain the cat is shot? Externally has holes or...????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Hmmmm.....

Jim - so what your saying is if I want to blow my engine, then i should just leave the cat as it is.... hmmm....
...that's a tough decision.

Thanks for reply!

Over the last 2 years I have had intermittent error P0420 - "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)", but I just kept clearing it with the OBDII scanner. After Moab, the "catalyst error" was permanent, so I had a local shop test the O2 sensors up and down stream and they determined that the cat was dead.

I was thinking about replacing with the Atlantic British Y-Pipe + Cat solution. Anyone had good/bad experiences? Figured I might as well do them both at the same time.
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Thank you - I know understand how the crap hit the cat. You could go with headers from Summit - $170 and 2 new generic cats... and weld into the existing end of the Y pipe which is what I did but I did not do all the research into the pros and cons of them prior to the swap.
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
short of cutting one out and welding in a new one, you have to do them both at the same time...

that being said, ECR uses Random Technologies cats IIRC. Might see what you can source, I'd guess your pipes aren't too badly rusted being in so cal - so maybe all you need is cats.

Old October 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Yep. I wish I could run the Random Tech Cats, but they are not CA legal/CARB compliant. If they were I'd be harassing Mike at ECR to pleeeeeeeeeeeeeas send me a complete stainless exhaust system.

Unfortunately, my only real options are less exciting: chop and replace both cats in situ, or spend $600 for cats + y pipe from AB or Rover Connection, both of which are fix made from milled steel.

There is also a new stainless y pipe + cats solution from DAP that is $598 + shipping. I am going to ask a few questions to see if it is truely 100% SS (including welds) and CARB compliant.
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Random Tech Cats - I am not familiar with those. Being that you are in Cali - none of our smog stations have a all wheel drive dyno, so you know how those test go - stick prob in step on gas, rev engine your done. I don't think any Test Only place would give you slack about those...do you. The test only place I went to did not even bat an eye on the headers.
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The biggest issue on a 1997 with a CEL is that it runs rich which leads to the valves getting sticky (ie take the motor apart bad).

Also call mike at LR west chester, he has a cat hookup.

Ron
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

Well i have been keeping my mouth shut until they were in production. They used my truck as the test. Installed new cats y pipe and exhaust. Sounds great and looks great. No problems what so ever. Do not know what they are going to charge though. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ayproducts.asp

Follow-up Post:

The link does not redirect. Put in Land rover 1995 d90
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I replaced mine with the Magnaflows last year as well. Cost was about $130 for two. I bet for another couple hundred bucks at a muffler shop you would be all fixed up. I welded my own in myself, kinda a pain in the ass, but not too bad. The Magnaflows are CARB compliant as well.

Semper Fi!
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

If you want a cheap option we usually have good low miles complete Y pipes (takes outs from installing ECR systems) that I will sell for the scrap value of the cats.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up

Mike I appreciate the offer. I am going to call Holly and see what you have available -- that might be a good option for me. I am just a little cautious about used 12+ year old cats... are there any ways to inspect them to see if they are holding up?

Brent, thanks for the heads up -- I will look into that option as well.
Ron, i will place a call to Mike at west chester -- thanks for the info

FYI here is what I have found out today:

D.A.P - "We dont have a CA-compliant unit available for the 97 D90"
Atlantic British - "No they are not CA approved"

I have calls into the other usual suspects, so I'll post here when I have more info.

Follow-up Post:

Rover Connection - "Not CA certified"
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Paul,
when I still had the V8 engine in my 1995 I went to Meineke and got the cats replaced cheap...couple of hundred bucks as I recall...
George
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I just had the drivers side cat replaced on my ST done, it was already replaced years ago with the full NRP system... A new cat installed was 291 with tax. The truck runs 1000% better.

Old October 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Paul,
I am sure that the used cats and Y pipe would be a good way to go from ECR. My 94 passed emmissions with 240,000 on the clock with no problem and had the original cats and y pipe, might even have had the original 02 sensors as I could not find any record of them being replaced when I looked through the old receipts. The only reason I took them off was to switch to headers.
Clay
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thanks guys. I am going to weigh my options, but I will post back here after I decide on a fix.
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
It would be sweet if Magnaflow would offer a full system for the Defender.
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Does anyone have the part number for the Random Tech Cats (D90)......there is not listing for them on their website??

Looks like Magnaflow has muffler-back solution. It looks like they are on verge of cat-y pipe solution as well. Is this what we are talking about??
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

So say a fella has a 1995 and with a full NRP system. One of the cats goes bad. Rather than replacing them, the pipes are cut just behind the cats and the cats busted out and the pipe re-welded and bolted back up. New O2 sensors installed. What might be the potential harm if any?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions