bad bad BAD noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Unhappy bad bad BAD noise

Was trying to climb a hill today had the truck in low lock and 2nd gear got about 3/4 of way wheels started spinning so i let off gas, when the tires started spinning it sounded like the front diff had some transfer of power between both wheels sounded ugly on the way home about 5 miles or so i get this shitty sound. maybe a noise like a bearing is going bad or something but i think its a result of that power transfer between the front tires. I does it when i slow down but i didnt notice it when i was on teh gas. I am not sure what is wrong just thought Iwould try to get some input. It's definatly drivetrain related I recently replaced both diffs and the t-case with the mobil 1 gear oil however that isnt culprit. I am not sure if it is the diff or t-case or what. tomorrow i might take off front drive shaft and put the front on jackstand to see if i can notice anything. any input is welcome. o yeah its got 45k miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2003, 05:53 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hmm.. sounds totaled. Better donate the truck to the site quickly.

Seriously though, Describe the sound... like is it grinding sound, steady? changes with the speed? Were you really spinning the tires then suddenly grabbed traction?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

How loud are we talking here??

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2003, 06:25 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nah i dont spin fast that how shit breaks... the hill was muddy kinda, well wet but wasnt spining more than 5 mph if that wasnt like a grab of traction or something just power alternating between tires. as for the noise.. well came home drank a beer got my head back to earth since i was worried something was fucked up $$$$$$$$$ went back gotinfront ofthe truck and pushed and pulled it around the yard sounded like something dragging so i pulled on the dust shield for the brake and it stopped. right now I am having a really hard time figuring out how that was rubbing the rotor. maybe something is loose i doubt it though. right now no noise I am cooking so cant take the truck out. however the noise fron the drivetrain on the hill was a little un nerving but it happens sometimes and I dont worry about it. i have heard other defenders do it. I will take it for a spin shortly. the noise wasnt terribly loud maybe about well alot like if you were scratching your fingernailsacross a black board HARD and trying to make people cringe. I thought for sure it was the diff but on second thought if the diff was shithoused i think i would have problems going forward with the center unlocked as well as open diffs. we will see I will post later this PM if there continues to be a problem after i drive it. thanks.
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
o yeah so far i have decided its in the front right of the truck, i grabbed the d-shaft and tiwsted, there is no more play than usual.

okay. so went and grabbed the front right tire and shook, something feels lose and when i shake it back and forth i get a kinda clunking metallic noise more of a thunka thunka than clink clink.
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:45 PM
exmodlad

sounds like a bearing or CV joint?????
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
those are my thoughts..
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:32 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

yeah, it shouldn't make those noises. :-) I've had bearings go out on the rear hub which also caused problems with the differential (Detroit) and it wasn't until I heard the Detroit locking when it shouldn't that the problem became evident. Kinda made noises like you describe.

pwc

Old December 11th, 2003, 09:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
hmm. what happened to your diff. i can handle having the bearings replace bu a new diff. well. i am not so sure
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:02 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I just had the U joints replaced on my front drive shaft.As I was driving I heard a loud noise like you described,the U/J had some metal missing and was not moving freely. Hope it's something as simple as my problem.
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
me too
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:44 AM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

The Detroit began making some horrid racket after little hints of noise on and off. It came to a point where it no long could disengage (forgive me for not having complete knowledge of the inner workings of a Detroit).
Sold it to a friend of mine for cheap who likes to work on things like that and he got it back together with a minimal amount of work in the end. It did take him some effort to get a full tech spec on the unit though.

I just wanted to point out that if you can move the tire in and out and there is noice, then the bearings could be shot on that side. When was the last time they were greased? And have you run them through much water? If the bearings go then there isn't much holding the shaft in place and it will transfer the wobble and force one way or the other.

pwc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions