backspacing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

backspacing

I realize there have been tons of posts regarding tires and wheels, so please humor me here.
If I install 285/76/16 tires with 16x8 rims w/4 1/2" backspacing, will the tires stick out past the vehicle? Can I do this without trimming/cutting?
I have read what is said about the 285/75/16's but the backspacing of 4 1/2" vs. stock is what concerns me.
I have recently installed LR heavy duty springs on the front, medium duty springs on the rear, and bilsteins shocks.
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:05 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rick, you can run those tires on even the stock rims with no problem.. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. Or run them on the 6.5"wide wolf rims with no prob.

Randy
Old November 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Thanks Randy. Am I wrong in saying the 4 1/2" backspacing will stick the tire out more? or am I confused on this. I also have the option of going 4" backspacing but thought I would do 4 1/2" to lessen the chance of the tire sticking out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2003, 01:32 PM
tbmcneill

you're only talking ~3/4" difference .... stock is 5 & change. the tires will stick out more than stock. you MAY get mild rubbing depending on how much lift your setup gives you. you're certainly not going to have to start chopping flares, though. for comparison, i used to run 35x12.5R15s on 4" backspaced rims with 2" lift and only rubbed at >90% compression ... & that was just the flares.
T
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:03 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Damn, not sure why, but this is confusing to me.
So, Troy, since I have a choice, I should go with 16x8 w/4 1/2" backspacing vs. same w/4" backspacing to keep the tire further inside the wheelwells??
Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:46 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Backspacing numbers are run from the mounting point of the wheel back towards the inside lip of the wheel. That means the lower the number, the farther it will stick out. The 4.5 will be .5 inches farther inside the 4in wheel. Hope that helps. Is there any reason why you do not want a wider stance??

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Thank you David. I understand it now.
I like a wide stance but just don't want to get so wide the tires stick out past the wheelwells. While that may be what you want off-road, it is not the look I want for my daily driver. So I want as wide as I can get but still be inside the wheelwells. Just my preference.
Thanks again for all who responded.
Rick
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:56 PM
tbmcneill

backspacing and offset are easy to get mixed up. here's a straightforward breakdown off a Porsche site (the only other truly great automobile in the world )....
http://www.hillmanimages.com/912/wheels.html
T
Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:19 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Troy, great site. I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't get this.
I agree on the Porsche, by the way. I've had a 1972 911e, a 1969 911s and a 1962 356 Super 90. All great cars.
Rick

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac