Back up camera question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Back up camera question

Never installed one before. If mounted over by the license plate is it of any use lining up a trailer hitch ? If mounted down low in the center of the crossmember would the step bumper and
large spare cut into the field of view ? looking for suggestions.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2017, 10:57 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
depends on focal length, which varies by camera model. the ones on amazon usually advertise the viewing angle in degrees. beware that some cameras exaggerate the viewing angles, or don't take sensor crop into account. it's a minefield out there!
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Tbaumer
Ted Baumer
1986 LHD 110

Registry
I don't know about back up camaeras, but I have to say I'm having a "What the..." moment.
Uncle Douglas doesn't ask questions - I thought he was the answer man!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2017, 05:53 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

"Can you answer? Yes, I can... What would be the answer to the answer man?"
Old August 17th, 2017, 06:15 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Put it over by the license plate, as I'm guessing you'd prefer it there, as there'd be the ease of mounting, wiring, and eventual scar-less removal. You'll then get used to the slight offset/off center field of view and perspective on the hitch. And if it still gives you a headache, then use one of these guide plates and you'll nail it without so much as a shoulder check.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/OneMo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2040282482.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	282890  
Old August 17th, 2017, 07:46 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Due to your love of driving into water that's deeper than the door tops, I'd say mounted up on the coachroof is best.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 17th, 2017, 08:05 AM
werc1
Bill
A few...

I have one on my 110 mounted to the rear roof (above the rear door). I'll take some pics and post the set-up shortly.
Old August 17th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You guys are fun.

Not for me, although we are building me a 110 5 door with galv chassis,bulkhead,B pilars, etc. 4.0 gmes v8, auto, etc.

This is actually on a soft top truck we built for a Nantucket owner. The truck has a rear step bumper but has no receiver hitch. It has a side swing tailgate for ease of passengers getting into the rear jump seats.
If I center it, the thing is (in my mind) likely to get raked off by someones foot getting into the back of the truck. That said I'd also like it to be as unobtrusive as possible. This picture shows why the space between the tire and bumper might not be an optimal field of view. Thinking under the reverse lamp.
Attached Images

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 17th, 2017, 08:55 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You guys are fun.

This is actually on a truck we built for a Nantucket owner. The truck has a rear step bumper but has no receiver hitch. It has a side swing tailgate for ease of passengers getting into the rear jump seats.
If I center it the thing is (in my mind) likely to get raked off by someones foot getting into the back of the truck. That said I'd also like it to be as unobtrusive as possible.
How much access do you have behind that plate where the receiver is on NAS bumper?

Do you know the camera you are buying?

Do you plan on using those holes on that plate for anything else?

Do you mind drilling an appropriately size hole in that plate for a camera?

If you answered yes, yes, no, no then mount it in the cavity of the hitch block off plate. I can draw a sketch of what I think would work if you're interested.
Old August 17th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Due to your love of driving into water that's deeper than the door tops, I'd say mounted up on the coachroof is best.
Touche'

------ Follow up post added August 17th, 2017 09:06 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
How much access do you have behind that plate where the receiver is on NAS bumper?

Do you know the camera you are buying?

Do you plan on using those holes on that plate for anything else?

Do you mind drilling an appropriately size hole in that plate for a camera?

If you answered yes, yes, no, no then mount it in the cavity of the hitch block off plate. I can draw a sketch of what I think would work if you're interested.
By plate do you mean the rear crossmember ? Total access, this is/was a 1986 ex mod 90 with a side tank under the passenger seat. The camera is a pioneer unit ND-BC8 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...Cameras/ND-BC8

Have it, and going to complete the install this morning. Camera is square though...

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 17th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

I have this license plate mount for the wife's VW. Makes for a clean install.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CAU...AU001&skipvs=T
That pioneer camera is almost the exact dimensions as the clarion camera.
Old August 17th, 2017, 09:57 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Touche'

------ Follow up post added August 17th, 2017 09:06 AM ------

By plate do you mean the rear crossmember ? Total access, this is/was a 1986 ex mod 90 with a side tank under the passenger seat. The camera is a pioneer unit ND-BC8 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...Cameras/ND-BC8

Have it, and going to complete the install this morning. Camera is square though...
If you had more time I think inside the rear step bumper (where the receiver would be on the NAS rear step bumper) would be cool, but it would require a bracket (attached to the 4 holes in the plate) and a camera that fit (long lens tube).

here's a quick sketch:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 09.55.49.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	282954  
Old August 17th, 2017, 12:07 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
You guys are fun.

Not for me, although we are building me a 110 5 door with galv chassis,bulkhead,B pilars, etc. 4.0 gmes v8, auto, etc.

This is actually on a soft top truck we built for a Nantucket owner. The truck has a rear step bumper but has no receiver hitch. It has a side swing tailgate for ease of passengers getting into the rear jump seats.
If I center it, the thing is (in my mind) likely to get raked off by someones foot getting into the back of the truck. That said I'd also like it to be as unobtrusive as possible. This picture shows why the space between the tire and bumper might not be an optimal field of view. Thinking under the reverse lamp.
I picked up a flush-mount bullet style camera from Amazon on the cheap. It's not exactly 1080/HD but it works well enough. I got this style because the wiring was simple (power from reverse light) and because I could mount it into the existing bumper holes without much modification. Take a look / might be worth considering.
Old August 17th, 2017, 12:12 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I'm sure it's obvious, but probably still worth mentioning, that it's always good to have just a little bit of the vehicle's rear end showing up in the camera's field of view. It helps tremendously with perspective.
Old August 18th, 2017, 09:46 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If there were any way to install it stealth-like in the license plate lamp housing, that's where I'd put it. One small hole and silicone-goop it in there.

Edit: Just went to the link for the camera. Looks too big to sneak it inside the lamp housing without removing it from the supplied mount. Maybe a neat little bracket that slips between the Lamp and the rear panel? That way you don't have to drill more holes and you can run the wires thru the license lamp wire hole. Maybe with one of those round tail lamp guards on it?
Cut out a piece of 1/4 inch black Starboard as a plinth of sorts.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 18th, 2017, 09:52 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

On the tailgate under the tire in the 'thick ribbed portion', or on the side of the license plate light housing?? I would think centered would be best obviously, and it will be somewhat hidden under the spare tire if on the gate...

Old August 18th, 2017, 11:10 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IMHO, the most useful place to put a backup camera is as high and as far back as possible, so that it stares down at the bumper and corners. Doesn't look great, unfortunately.
Old August 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
I'm sure it's obvious, but probably still worth mentioning, that it's always good to have just a little bit of the vehicle's rear end showing up in the camera's field of view. It helps tremendously with perspective.
Yes you would think that it is obvious but sometimes I get in other peoples cars, rentals, etc and am shocked at the side view mirror and rear view mirror set ups. But then again there are constantly people moving into other lanes because they are passing someone that is on the shoulder or making a long sweeping right hand turn. Its like they do know how wide their cars are.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old August 19th, 2017, 10:05 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
I'm gonna hop on this and ask about ones that have an integrated 3rd brakelight? Considering putting one where the rear washer nozzle is fitted and was curious if anyone else has done this sort of mod?

eg: https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Unive.../dp/B01N29NAXL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac