Back lights all out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:06 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Question Back lights all out

thought i'd post this first before digging into it. i found out from a driver last night that ALL my back lights were out. all at once. however, the 2 small lights on the sides were still on. so, something must've gotten pulled off or a fuse blown or whatever. or maybe all the bulbs did burn out at the same time.

was just wondering if someone has had this happened to them before or knew the answer so i don't have to investigate.

TIA,
paul

Edit: Oh, and if it is a fuse for the back lights that has to be replaced, where is that? sorry, don't know all the ins and outs of the truck yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

On a '97, there's a fuse box behind a cover just in front of transfer case lever. There's also one in the engine compartment on the driver's side.
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

Check your fuses - I had the same problem - it was the fuse block inside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Cool. Thanks Matt. I haven't had a chance to look at this yet (lucky I still have my old car), but are the fuses labeled? which one was it, if u can remember.
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:16 AM
andys
Andrew Swieck

should be labled on the inside...On my 95 the car is split in half..ie left right since you have the rear side makers working...(which is amazing) sort of points to the bulbs...or the sockets...sometimes the metal contacts in the bottom of the sockets corrode n break...
Old June 19th, 2004, 02:18 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Being a 97 odds are one of the rear lights is corroded and shorted out. There is a kit to fix this LRNA 0000 something.
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:24 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Being a 97 odds are one of the rear lights is corroded and shorted out. There is a kit to fix this LRNA 0000 something.
Ron, you are right on about the corrosion. Tried replacing the fuse, bulbs, nothing. Then looked further and found out my right red light is all corroded out. However, this light had been out for a while (was too lazy to replace what I thought was just the bulb ) but all the other rear lights were still working. But now all of a sudden, none of the lights work, so it doesn't make sense that this corrosion would all of a sudden affect the other lights too.

In any case, just looked on rovers down south and didn't see any kits for this. Any one know more details? Is there a way to bypass the corroded light in the circuit for now so that the other lights will come back on? Also, what's weird is the stop light on top of the spare still works. Must be on a separate circuit, although there's not a separate fuse for it.

Pain in the arse problem...
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If corroded it can short and blow the fuse. This is probably what happened. Are you sure you either got the right fuse or when you replaced it did not blow again?

You can cut the wires on the offending light and replace the fuse and it will be ok if it is shorting. Your dealer or competent parts place will be able to get you the LRNA repair kits, assuming it is more than the socket and you need the wire repair kits. George at roversdownsouth might have it, he does not list everything he has. The part number is in a bulletin, and not in the parts book if the parts guy gives you a blank stare.

Of the D-90.com vendors I KNOW mike at LR west chester will be able to find it and get it for you.

Its really not a big deal to find the fuse and fix the problem. A real PITA problem is something like replacing all the ball joints.

Ron

PS I am not familar with the 97 light set up but on a 94 the stop light is on the same circuit as the rest of the lights

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, ht, lights