Back Door Rattle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 18th, 2003, 06:38 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Back Door Rattle

I had so much success with the 1st thread I posted, that I am back. I have a rattle in the rear door of my D90 hard top and its driving me crazy. I broke down the door with some success a few times but it always returns. Finally I brought it to the dealer and told them what I had attempted and that I thought the noise was coming from the door hinges. They agreed. Well, they tightened the hinges and I was noise free for 1 month. Now its back. It does seem to be coming from the hinges but why does it keep coming back? I have a 33" tire mounted on the door. Is this too much weight for the hinges and therefore causing them to come loose? The dealer doesn't seem to think so. Have any of you had anything like this with your D90's? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Talking I just fixed mine today!

You said hardtop, did you mean Station Wagon (SW) or a Soft Top (ST) with a hardtop? I have a ST and been plagued with that sound in the rear door for awhile now and I finally took care of it.

If it's a high-pitched squeeking/rattleing sound, check the sensor on the left bottom corner (if you're facing the rear) of the opening. This is a push button thing that tells the dome light if the door is open. Spray it with WD40 and whammo, noise is gone!

Goodluck!

Glenn
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:07 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
take that big ol mud grip off the back and ride around and see if there is any difference. report back
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2003, 10:29 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Sorry Glenn, I need to be more specific. I have a station wagon which by the way is, as far as I can tell identical to Phillip's in the thread after you. I am 99% sure its coming from the door hinges.

Ok Phillip the tire will come off tomorrow for some time and I will get back to you.
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
My door did the same thing as yours Mike. I took my rear tire off and its in the back cargo area not the best place for it if i were to turn over or ?????? When people need the back seats or wanna ride I make them put that heavy b**** on the rear door. Although my rear door doesnt make any noises anymore. Hopefully some of the other owners with SW's will chime in because I think a few have had similar issues. An aftermarket tire carrier seems to be a good option. the Mantec seems to be popular for a more if I may "stock look" but there are some other more heavy duty carriers that might be more appealing. good luck.
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:08 AM
redrover

yep

More than likely the play comes from the latch side on rear door. If you push and pull on the left side off your spare, you will see this movement along door edge. Yes the 33s are heavier and if it is on a steely rim -way heavier. There is a black dampener on you latch mechanism, play around with its tollerences ,maybe it will help. I have also considered welding some gussets between the three post that extend out to hold tire. If you rotate tire left and right by hand-you can fell them flex. I notice at high highway speeds I get a steady vibration in the spare and can see it in the rearview mirror. I post my results of the gusset experiment soon.
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:46 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

My rear door was repaired by LR Denver South by the previous owner. The "rattling" was caused by broken welds in the steel frame of the door. I looked at the repair when I had to rebuild my rear wiper motor. They welded the hell out of all the joints in the frame. It has not made one squeak, rattle, or clunk, since I have owned it. (about a year)

Land Rover has since replaced the aluminum skinned door, in the current Defenders, with an all steel door.

Does anyone across the Pond have any experience with these?
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

My advise to all of you who haven't, is to install a spare tire carrier. I have the Mantec on my rig which I purchased from BritishPacific and self installed. I believe there is a FAQ on this install on D-90.com. The Mantec is so robust, I can carry two 33's on it (the second spare bolted to the first one). Takes ALL the vertical forces off the door, which will eventually surrender to the weight of the tire if you off-road without a carrier.

Doug Walker

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, door, rattle