Axle Vendor Recommendation? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
I hate to say it but it is either not the diff but.. something else? OR you need to have somebody else set up your diffs. I find it strange that it is happening with different truetracs and gear sets. Something else isnt right here. I look forward to the next video. If you could just bring your truck over to my place I could figure it out
Trust me, I have started to take vacation from work and just drive the damn thing to Bill's shop in Salt Lake 10 times over.

With some luck, a detailed video (with several video cameras), and good audio recording on multiple points, it will be "just like the real thing."

Baby steps. It can't break forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Video complete!

I'll get it posted to YouTube in about 6 hours (when I get back home).
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:58 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Have you actually checked that your axle is straight?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:50 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Have you actually checked that your axle is straight?
Not personally. No clue how. The LR Tech that installed the last diff told me he gave them a once over and that they slid right in with no binding.

That said... I'll know, definitively, that they're straight when I put the new one's in a few days from now.

But if it was the axles, why didn't the 1st or 2nd diff makes all this noise? Perhaps they've bent because of all the strain? Any thoughts welcome.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Of course they will slide in fine. Look at the drive member flange before bolting and see if it is parallel. Put a digital level on the axle flanges.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Of course they will slide in fine. Look at the drive member flange before bolting and see if it is parallel. Put a digital level on the axle flanges.
I'll do the check and get back to you. Any other input on the noises heard in the video?

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
No idea. Have seen a few True Tracs, never noticed any noise. Obviously turning on pavement with the center diff locked is nasty at the best of times.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
No idea. Have seen a few True Tracs, never noticed any noise. Obviously turning on pavement with the center diff locked is nasty at the best of times.

Yea I agree with driving on pavement with CDL locked thats asking for something to blow up. Maybe if you slam on the gas you will be able to figure out what the real problem is

Since it happens mostly when one wheel is turning more than the other I would believe it is the carrier (truetrac). I would pull the diff and take it to a different diff shop and get an opinion. You could also see if Eaton has any sort of "certified" diff mechanics in your area that can take the truetrac apart and inspect it.

Have you tested the truetrac on something slick to see if it still works like it should?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle