Axle Vendor Recommendation? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Wet hub conversion is pretty common. I've been running with wet hubs for a number of years as have many of my fellow LR club members and haven't had any problems with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:31 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Thanks, gents!

Next up... my video!

I am going to be setting up the car with high-end microphones and HD GoPro video cameras and then assembling the audio and video (for YouTube) to make this problem crystal clear to Eaton.

After I have the axle housing verified and the axles replaced, there will be nothing left to blame but the diff - which I already verified to be the problem several times over to include a snall army of certified LR mechanics and with a test they had me do in my garage with the rear-end jacked up.

At least I'll have some cool new axles!
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:36 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Just returned from the dealership. They laser-verified my rear axle housing. It's straight.

Next... axles. And, of course, doing the video.

Adrian, The Eaton rep working with Bill Davis (of GBR) is Brent Bussell. His number is (248) 226-6762.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I'll look him up in outlook and see if I can have a conversation with him. Will you be satisfied with a replacement diff?
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:55 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Surely the cost of two dealership visits and a set of new axles plus your labor, is more than the cost of an ARB locker.
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:18 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I'll look him up in outlook and see if I can have a conversation with him.
Thanks VERY much for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Will you be satisfied with a replacement diff?
Plus the cost to have it professionally installed? Yes.

This is the 3rd rear diff in 9 months - all of which were replaced on my dime. Not to mention all the other parts and tests I didn't need but had to do in order to prove that the problem isn't my truck.

Of course, it could be the axles... we'll know soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Surely the cost of two dealership visits and a set of new axles plus your labor, is more than the cost of an ARB locker.
Yes, it's getting to be about the same. Ugh...
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Thanks VERY much for the help!

Plus the cost to have it professionally installed? Yes.

This is the 3rd rear diff in 9 months - all of which were replaced on my dime. Not to mention all the other parts and tests I didn't need but had to do in order to prove that the problem isn't my truck.
Who is installing them for you now? Bills guy?
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
Who is installing them for you now? Bills guy?
In all cases, Bill has been sending me a fully-assembled rear member. If I had the skillset to do a diff swap after pulling the dif, I would!

The 1st install was done by a certified :LR mechanic - but in my garage. In an effort to save some money, I did the 2nd one myself. I paid the LR dealership to do the 3rd one (in case I was doing something wrong). I had the inner and outer wheel bearings replaced at that time too. They weren't bad but I needed to eliminate the possibility that the problem was bearings.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
In all cases, Bill has been sending me a fully-assembled rear member. If I had the skillset to do a diff swap after pulling the dif, I would!

The 1st install was done by a certified :LR mechanic - but in my garage. In an effort to save some money, I did the 2nd one myself. I paid the LR dealership to do the 3rd one (in case I was doing something wrong). I had the inner and outer wheel bearings replaced at that time too. They weren't bad but I needed to eliminate the possibility that the problem was bearings.
Very interested in video of this..
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
do you have a brake caliper dragging?
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:12 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
do you have a brake caliper dragging?
Good thought. That was a consideration that was checked early on. No problems found.

I suppose I could add a caliper rebuild to the list of "things to do". No downside to that on a 15 year old Defender!

Whatever I have to do to resolve this, I'll do.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Hans, you should come drive my truck and see if the clunking is the same. My diffs are noisy and feel like they have slop in them. I'd love to know how they compare to yours.
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:50 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Chris, here's why i replaced the 1st diff. The current (3rd) diff is MUCH worse than this - center diff locked or not. It grinds too.

Old June 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Thats an interesting one. I know with my CDL locked I cant make turns without chirping the tires but I have a detroit. I am guessing that locking CDL and taking a tight turn with a TT is putting a lot of stress on the drivetrain..

What do your rear u-joints look like? The noise it made sounded like the hollow sound of a drive shaft.

Do you have stock gears? If so drop in a stock diff and take it for a spin. If you have aftermarket gears then disconnect front shaft and drive with CDL locked. See if it happens. If not I would say it's the carrier for sure.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Oh shit. Mine is nothing like that.

If you pull the diff completely, does the sound go away? That almost sounds like a transmission brake noise.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Wow - listened to it on my phone but agree with Jake that it has a hollow driveshaft sound.

Couple of questions:

- Are you positive you are running the same gearing front and rear?
- Like those guys mentioned above - have you pulled driveshafts (1 at a time) and seen what happens?

I am sure you are plenty frustrated. Not sure if you are done with LSD's but Ashcroft has one available now. Should be listed on Lucky8.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Remember... that video is the 1st diff which was replaced. In retrospect, I wish I had the 1st diff back! The current (3rd) diff is much, MUCH worse. THIS diff grinds and pops even without the center diff locked. Backing out of parking spots gets me attention from people far away. LOL

Video of the current (3rd) diff coming soon.

Quote:
What do your rear u-joints look like?
New DC shafts (front and rear) front GBR. All ball joints inspected and tight.

Quote:
Do you have stock gears?
No. Bill talked me into 4.11's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
If you pull the diff completely, does the sound go away? That almost sounds like a transmission brake noise.
Haven't tried that. When we pulled the rear drive shaft, the rear end still makes the noise. We verified it with chassis Ears. It is absolutely coming form the rear diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Are you positive you are running the same gearing front and rear?
We considered that and ran some tests to verify that we had the same gears front and rear. Namely... locking the center diff and driving on pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Like those guys mentioned above - have you pulled driveshafts (1 at a time) and seen what happens?
Yes.

We pulled the front and ran just the rear - then pulled the rear with just the front (with Chassis Ears mounted). While it is a little quieter without the rear shaft, it is still there.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

I think I MIGHT be onto something. Take your rear drive shaft off and check the splines on the slip shaft. I know you said it's new but that just sounds way to much like a drive shaft or hollow axle tube making the noise.

Did you try testing it by spinning the tires and counting the drive shaft revolutions? Does it make any noise when you turn the wheel by hand? Have you put it on a lift or jack stands to try to recreate the noise? Have you checked the splines on the rear t-case output shaft?

When did it first start to happen? Have all of the gear set ups been different on all of the diffs but the same true-trac? Why didnt bill take the carrier apart and inspect the internals?
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:56 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
I think I MIGHT be onto something. Take your rear drive shaft off and check the splines on the slip shaft. I know you said it's new but that just sounds way to much like a drive shaft or hollow axle tube making the noise.
So, I fear I may have muddied the water. That video is of the 1st replacement diff I got from Bill. I am onto diff #3 now. THIS diff (#3) makes a whole new host of grinding noises in addition to that axle noise whether the center is locked or not.

With the rear prop shaft removed and chassis ears concurrently on the front, center, and rear (so we can switch channels and separate each audio source) ... the noises still come from the rear diff and can be heard clearly through the chassis ears.

That said, I'll explore your suggestion. Thank you!

Quote:
Did you try testing it by spinning the tires and counting the drive shaft revolutions?
No. Can you tell me more about that?

Quote:
Does it make any noise when you turn the wheel by hand?
With the caveat that I'm talking about the current diff... Yes. All the noises are there when putting the rear on jack stands and turning both rear wheels in opposite directions.

Quote:
Have you put it on a lift or jack stands to try to recreate the noise?
With the caveat that I'm talking about the current diff... Yes. All the noises are there. See previous comment.

Quote:
Have you checked the splines on the rear t-case output shaft?
No. With the rear shaft removed, the noises are still there in the rear diff.

Quote:
When did it first start to happen?
Immediately after installing the new 3rd member with the TT. A new drive shaft was installed at the same time. That shaft was too long and was replaced with a new one. Same noises on both rear DC shafts.

Quote:
Have all of the gear set ups been different on all of the diffs but the same true-trac?
I'm not sure. I believe Bill has swapped out the TT each time. Diff 1 and Diff 2 had the same gears. Diff 3 (the worst of the 3) was all new.

Quote:
Why didn't bill take the carrier apart and inspect the internals?
I believe he got authorization from Eaton to disassemble the 1st one. he said there was nothing wrong with it.

I am going to get a video of the CURRENT situation up by Sunday night. May as well focus on the current state of affairs, right?

BTW, I really appreciate all of the help, gents.
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

I hate to say it but it is either not the diff but.. something else? OR you need to have somebody else set up your diffs. I find it strange that it is happening with different truetracs and gear sets. Something else isnt right here. I look forward to the next video. If you could just bring your truck over to my place I could figure it out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle