Axle Swap w/Disco I - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
why not just get 2 jack stands, unbolt front radius arms from chassis, panhard bar and brake lines. Remove the entire front axle one shot Then power wash and clean the shit out of the axle. get it up on a set of horses or something and rebuild it with new seals and brake stuff. A weekend job if you have all the parts. THen new bushings and reinstall. THen do the back the same way?
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
I'm pretty sure Charles owes Ron $5. I took a rag and some of my favorite liquid tool and just wiped them off to take the picture. With a bit of elbow grease and solvent, it looks like that rust on the collar should lift off.

You know, I look at pictures like these and see the rust, I want to kick the PO's arse for not parking it on pavement. Then I remember he's dead, and I feel bad.
Top the swivels up with 90wt. If it holds oil, I will send the $5 bill to charles. On the plus side, the ball joints aka tie rod ends look pretty good.

edit: nevermind, the one in the first pic has a rip in the boot in the back.
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If it were me, I'd rebuild the calipers, replace the pads and drive it, barring any obvious damage to the brake lines or leaks.

Ron, I love to see a man cling to his Lincolns, but I don't know if mixing the grease and oil is the answer.

Jerod, you should first see what's in there right now. One way is to open the filler plug on top and look inside. It can help to turn the wheel all the way to the outside, so on the drivers side all the way to the left. You can then see down past the swivel housing.

If you see grease, I'd top it off with one shot grease. You won't have any noticeable leaks unless the seals are really bad.

If it looks like oil, then pull the drain plug, and drain/flush. Oil will leak more quickly if the seal are bad, but I think even in your case if they did it would be minimal.

Randy, that's kind of what i was getting at with the D1 axle swap suggestion on the first place - to buy him time to do that to the axle. But you are right, at this point he could have just stripped the ends down in place and be rolling already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Top the swivels up with 90wt. If it holds oil, I will send the $5 bill to charles. On the plus side, the ball joints aka tie rod ends look pretty good.

edit: nevermind, the one in the first pic has a rip in the boot in the back.
Ron - it sounds like you're in my garage. Would you mind doing a frame swap for me while I'm out today? I'll leave a 12-pack in the mini-fridge.
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

12 pack of bottles of wild turkey?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, disco