Defender Source Forum banner

axle breather install

Tags
axle
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dmarchand 
#1 ·
I just got a axle breather kit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for installing it, as in where to route the lines. Will the trans or transfer get to hot to run along? Is it better to run them into the engine compartment or into the cab? Do you reccomend running breathers for the trans and transfer? Thanks for your help Chris

#2 ·
Your trans and tcase alredy have breathers, but they end right behind the engine - most kits entend them since its such a hassle to get to the fittings. The factory locations for those breathers are routed right along the transmission and up the bellhousing to the back of the motor - no worries about heat.

You can actually run your rear breather up through the wiring grommet behind the rear speakers and into the body. My front breathers run up and out the antenna hole, which I fitted with a grommet.

#3 ·
The transfer and trans should not get too hot to run the polymid hosing, although the frame is a very convenient and cool place to run them. Terminate them high and dry. One of my friends drilled a few holes in his air cleaner and terminated them in there (up front so they don't poke the air cleaner), some terminate them in the cabin or in the battery box. I have heard of people saying they would not terminate them in the cabin cause of smell--that is your own call, but I am not sure you would be able to smell it. Personally, I ran them up behind the air element to the height of the bonnet. Good enough for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.