axle breather install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 20th, 2005, 07:10 PM
CHRIS C
CHRIS CUSTARD
97 D90 ST

axle breather install

I just got a axle breather kit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for installing it, as in where to route the lines. Will the trans or transfer get to hot to run along? Is it better to run them into the engine compartment or into the cab? Do you reccomend running breathers for the trans and transfer? Thanks for your help Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Your trans and tcase alredy have breathers, but they end right behind the engine - most kits entend them since its such a hassle to get to the fittings. The factory locations for those breathers are routed right along the transmission and up the bellhousing to the back of the motor - no worries about heat.

You can actually run your rear breather up through the wiring grommet behind the rear speakers and into the body. My front breathers run up and out the antenna hole, which I fitted with a grommet.
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The transfer and trans should not get too hot to run the polymid hosing, although the frame is a very convenient and cool place to run them. Terminate them high and dry. One of my friends drilled a few holes in his air cleaner and terminated them in there (up front so they don't poke the air cleaner), some terminate them in the cabin or in the battery box. I have heard of people saying they would not terminate them in the cabin cause of smell--that is your own call, but I am not sure you would be able to smell it. Personally, I ran them up behind the air element to the height of the bonnet. Good enough for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Slightly off topic but, In the past I have put lawn tractor clamp-on/push-on type fuel filters on the ends of the breathers.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:29 PM
CHRIS C
CHRIS CUSTARD
97 D90 ST

Thanks guys for the info I will install when I change my suspension next week.
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

on my 110 i ran them up the roll cage and into the air intake of the snorkel
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:59 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I ran mine into a terminal in the engine compartment at the top of the firewall, and the terminal's main breather goes up my roll cage and has a tiny K&N filter on top of it. I guess if water goes that high, I have bigger problems...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle