Axel Housing Clean up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Axel Housing Clean up

So I have decided that this summer the rover will get some much needed clean up. I am looking at cleaning up the axel housings and painting them with POR-15. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I don't really want to disassemble the whole thing, was wondering if I could just take it off the vehicle as is and tape off the diff and cv area (on the front housing) and have someone bead blast it. Any issues that anyone can think of to this approach? Better ideas?

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Crawl under with an angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment.
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Ya I can get most of it that way, but I need to pull the radius arms, do them, etc. I guess I can just wire wheel it when I have it out. I just don't want to get into pulling the diff, cv and hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2010, 03:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have always removed them, power wash or steam clean them, hit them with a wire wheel and scuff pad. Then prim with Eastwood rust inhibiting primer (this stuff rocks) then top coat with there satin ceramic chassis paint. I have used POR-15 IN THE PAST AND DO NOT LIKE IT. I prefer my other method..
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
POR-15 works well only when you follow the directions perfectly (using all they're various prep products). I think pretty much any paint would hold up well when prepped to that level. Randy is right about the Eastwood stuff, it is very good and comes without all the hyperbole of POR-15.

If you can find someone soda blasting in your area, that is a great method. It will take off coatings but not harm rubber etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
POR-15 works well only when you follow the directions perfectly (using all they're various prep products). I think pretty much any paint would hold up well when prepped to that level. Randy is right about the Eastwood stuff, it is very good and comes without all the hyperbole of POR-15.

If you can find someone soda blasting in your area, that is a great method. It will take off coatings but not harm rubber etc.
Great thanks for the suggestions.
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Pulling the axles isn't too hard. You might consider pulling them and doing sewer caps on the diffs at the same time. when was the last time you rebuilt your hubs?
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Pulling the axles isn't too hard. You might consider pulling them and doing sewer caps on the diffs at the same time. when was the last time you rebuilt your hubs?
I have never done anything with the CVs, but I did wheel bearings and seals at the last brake job. Everything looks good in there.

Sewer caps?

B
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

http://www.washbrook.net/Stage_12.htm

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ight=sewer+cap

They provide additional protection for the housing. Depending on how you use your truck, they may or may not be worth the effort.
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
http://www.washbrook.net/Stage_12.htm

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ight=sewer+cap

They provide additional protection for the housing. Depending on how you use your truck, they may or may not be worth the effort.
Looks good, but a bit more involved than I think I am willing to take on. I have diff protectors on and most of the stuff that I run through is mud and sticks and lately the occasional snow bank. Not too much rock climbing around here.

B
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

pulling the axle housing to paint it seems like an awful lot of work. If you do, I have had much better luck with SEM rust shield than POR15.

However, I would just waxoyl it. I did to mine and it looks factory black. The only part of the housing that could possibly rust through is the thin cover over the diff gears. The rest of the housing is really thick. If its just looks you want, black waxoyl is the way to go in my opinion. You can easily spray it with axle in position.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Bill, I'd suggest running up to Crazy rays and buying an axel housing, prepping it in the driveway then swapping it over. It'll allow you the time to sewer cap, do the bearings, R&R brakes and everything else that you should do while it's torn down, all while still having the truck up and running.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yeah, I second the working on a second housing idea. Did mine annd sewercapped it and used a d1 housing
and am fitting a front swaybar at the same time

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Bill, I'd suggest running up to Crazy rays and buying an axel housing, prepping it in the driveway then swapping it over. It'll allow you the time to sewer cap, do the bearings, R&R brakes and everything else that you should do while it's torn down, all while still having the truck up and running.
Oh I am going to be doing suspension and the rear crossmember too, so one way or another it is going to be down for a while. I was planning for it being at the folks for a good portion of the summer. Gives me time to enjoy the Vette too.

B
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I could gut the front and rear housings in about thirty minutes. Its not that involved. The rear is like ten minutes. The front is just a bit longer. Extra dozen bolts to deal with or so.
And I love you too
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Went the POR 15 route - it does not take much to cover an axle.
1. Rented a high power pressure washer to remove as much built up crap that I could
2. sandblasted the axle housing
3. washed it
4. used an auto prep for paint (kinda of like a degreaser but is made for wiping down metal before painting) and wiped down the axle
5. POR 15 it with a paint brush. Came out pretty nice.
If you not going to go with pulling the axle off I would skip step 2 and go with what Ron suggested (wire wheel) and the follow the other steps. When you get to 5 use the 15 or the SEM product that Jeff suggested. SEM products are really good!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Went the POR 15 route - it does not take much to cover an axle.
1. Rented a high power pressure washer to remove as much built up crap that I could
2. sandblasted the axle housing
3. washed it
4. used an auto prep for paint (kinda of like a degreaser but is made for wiping down metal before painting) and wiped down the axle
5. POR 15 it with a paint brush. Came out pretty nice.
If you not going to go with pulling the axle off I would skip step 2 and go with what Ron suggested (wire wheel) and the follow the other steps. When you get to 5 use the 15 or the SEM product that Jeff suggested. SEM products are really good!
Did you do this with the diff and CVs and stuff still attached or did you break the whole thing down? I was kind of worried about getting the blasting media or any degreaser stuff near the calipers or anything rubber. Didn't know how seals and such would react.

B
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Nope did it with every thing attached. I just happed to have the whole front and rear ends off the truck at the time. I the front diff, only blasted up to the swivel ball housing.
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Great thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions