Aviation intercom - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Those were just starting to be used when I stopped volunteering.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2016, 09:42 PM
Nooner
Ryan Noonan
1994 D90 NAS #159

Registry
Laws vary from state to state. It's not always illegal to wear headsets and some states allow them to protect your hearing or to allow for communication... many have no restrictions, and some prohibit their use outright: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headsets/

(Not meant to be a source document, merely a one stop illustration of the varied legal bits... Look into your own states laws)
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

On the subject of aviation head sets, are all these systems push to talk (PTT) or do any have voice activation like a VOX function? I think PTT while driving is not optimum.
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:30 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
On the subject of aviation head sets, are all these systems push to talk (PTT) or do any have voice activation like a VOX function? I think PTT while driving is not optimum.
I think that the Bose has VOX but not 100% sure. My ideal setup is to put a foot-activated PTT switch on floor underneath and outboard of the clutch on my LHD truck. The ideal switch would be something durable like the old high-beam switches but it needs to be momentary, not on/off. VOX is a little dicey in a loud truck with lots of other noise going on.

The comments about the DCs make me want to give those a shot. The Bose are beaucoup bucks and I'd hate to destroy a set. I will probably try some DCs and sell if they're too uncomfotable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:54 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Bose does have vox. Tested and priced them out quite a few years ago at the outlet in Wilsonville, Oregon. $1800 a pair out the door/no tax. Don't know about today's pricing, but back then, that was too much for an experiment.

Just rewire and muff the DC's. You'll be happy. Way more durable feeling than the Bose. Since mine had dual drivers, I just left the ptt open until I didn't want it. Now, with vox, it's even easier. Still works in a st, albeit, not perfectly at highway speeds.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:52 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

When you say "rewire and muff the DC's", what do you mean by that exactly?

/
/
/
/
Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:28 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
When you say "rewire and muff the DC's", what do you mean by that exactly?
Sorry, just meant to muff the mic for high ambient wind, usually chopper sets like mine are already set that way, and put new soft cups (non-vinyl) on for long wear comfort.

By rewire, I was only referring to what I had done to add a second set of speakers drivers in the cups so that I didn't have to buy a more technical comm box to have easy intercom and still uninterrupted music and telephone. It's not as clean in having two jack plugs, but for me, it increased the efficacy of the headset without adding too much tech to the effort.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 02:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
By rewire, I was only referring to what I had done to add a second set of speakers drivers in the cups so that I didn't have to buy a more technical comm box to have easy intercom and still uninterrupted music and telephone. It's not as clean in having two jack plugs, but for me, it increased the efficacy of the headset without adding too much tech to the effort.
That sounds awesome. Do you have any details on this mod? That's the big drawback of the DCs for me. No wasy way to get my music in and the drivers are probably not designed for music.

/
/
/
/
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
That's exactly what we did back in the day. Tear apart an over the ear headset and put the ear speakers into the DC cups. Didn't sound great but going cross country at 90 knots it took the edge off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions