auxiliary fuel tank not pumping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:33 AM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

auxiliary fuel tank not pumping

I have a 9 gallon tank under the passenger seat. I think its an old rover accessory one. I am not sure. Was hoping someone could confirm what it is and is there a manual.

I removed my 97 console to do some repair/freshening up work on it. I had to disconnect the wires to the aux tank switch which is connected to the console. Console is ready to go back in so I go to test the aux tank switch and the aux pump is suppose to make a noise. Well it doesn't.

There are two wires that connect to the 3 prong switch. Of course I did not write them down how they connected. So with a little process of elimination I think I was able to figure out how they connected. (If I did not connect correctly the inline fuse would blow.)

One picture attached is the tank and the other I think is the auxiliary tank transfer pump. Right? or is it the main tank fuel pump? This one is located passenger side above rear tire. The main fuel tank should have a fuel pump internal, right?

Some other notes...I have not used the aux tank in about 2 months.

Anyways, trying to figure out why its not coming on. Something simple or did the pump just go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130802_231424_108.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	76870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130802_231432_118.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	76871  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:02 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I'd try to power it up directly to the battery to see if it runs. As it is a DC motorized pump IF you run it backwards, it won't hurt it. Carefully run your jumper cables under the vehicle and then a pair of small gauge wire to the leads on the pump.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

Since I slept last night and ran a 5k race this morning I was able to figure out the issue.

Dennis, I tried your test and the pump still works. I thought I had all the wires connected. Well I didn't. I was missing one.

Connected it up...hit the switch and fuel gauge started filling. Funny how I could not find that wire yesterday.

I took pictures prior to disconnecting everything but I took horrible ones that were blurred.

Case closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Also, I loaded the entire manual for that unit here last year if you search.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

I search quite a bit and could never find it. I did find your original post requesting if someone had a copy.

Is there a special method to searching and finding it?

===update===

Found it on the 4th try under your name... http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...el+tank&page=2

Will print it out for future.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I have a similar type tank, custom built, exterior and under the passengers seat, holds close to 14 gallons. It hangs as low as the factory steps so I have to use care when off road. I too use a pump to transfer the fuel into the main tank as it approaches empty. I cut in a filler spout just behind the passengers door and hooked up over flow and venting to the main tank as to not set off the CEL, but that was back in my gasser days. Flip a switch down by the dimmer switch, watch the fuel gauge go up, shut off when aux is empty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, fuel tank