Aux Heater? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2004, 11:10 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I like the Mojave idea, I was thinking I might replace the stock heater with it, as my stock heater doesn't work most of the time, it doesn't blow enough air, and it sometimes makes funny sounds. Oh and if you have a 180* T-stat in your engine you should get very warm air out of the heater. You may need a radiator muff to help the engine warm up if you do allot of highway driving. The problem with the stock heater is it doesn't blow enough air, it needs more cfms to do the job right.

PS I have a Canadian D-90 and it doesn't have the extra blower, the PO must have removed it.

I don't think those little 300 watt electric heaters will do to much in a Defender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Okay...It's been a while. Anybody install any of these aux heaters? Work well? Guys, I use my stock heater on summer mornings in Denver, forget to turn it off, drive home...I'm warm. So you know I'm hurting in the winter. What works? Any techs ever install one of these?
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Still using my Eber (see above) in my 300 Tdi. Not only is the cab toasty, but makes the Tdi easier to start in the cold.

I think it's great.

Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

My passenger side compartment has an ARB compressor in it so there's not much room for much else. I have a 300Tdi and the Eber looks like the ticket for me but where do you mount it?

After this winter I'm ready to spend what it takes to at least keep my coffee from freezing.
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
For what it's worth, I recently installed seat heaters in my front seats. It was an easy DIY job and they are my best upgrade so far. The warm in about 2 minutes, and keep me comfortable until the engine gets warm. The ones I got have a high and low setting, and on high, I"m ready to take my jacket off, before the engine is even warm on the way to work. I had to come up with a solution, as the 2.8 diesel has a 5 core radiator, and like to run under a 100* most of the time. (RN radiator muff on the way).
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
For what it's worth, I recently installed seat heaters in my front seats. It was an easy DIY job and they are my best upgrade so far.
I've been thinking about doing this to my 110 and replacing my seat foam at the same. Got any details on the install? How much of a PITA is removing/reinstalling the seat cover? Which seat heaters did you purchase? Where did you mount the switches? Thanks!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
For what it's worth, I recently installed seat heaters in my front seats. It was an easy DIY job and they are my best upgrade so far. The warm in about 2 minutes, and keep me comfortable until the engine gets warm.
I'd be interested in this info as well.
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
I've been thinking about doing this to my 110 and replacing my seat foam at the same. Got any details on the install? How much of a PITA is removing/reinstalling the seat cover? Which seat heaters did you purchase? Where did you mount the switches? Thanks!
I have seat heaters in the green 90. I'll drive it to Bud's so you can check it out if you'd like. Easy install, came with new covers and foam. Not cheap, though. If you just wanted the heaters, I think they can be had from somewhere else seperately.

You may as well wait and put the Espar in when you do the diesel install.
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
I have seat heaters in the green 90. I'll drive it to Bud's so you can check it out if you'd like. Easy install, came with new covers and foam. Not cheap, though. If you just wanted the heaters, I think they can be had from somewhere else seperately.
Nah, ya better bring the 110! Where'd ya get the kit?

Quote:
You may as well wait and put the Espar in when you do the diesel install.
Damn troublemaker!

You back from down South yet?

Old February 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I got mine for $75 per seat from Heatedseatkits.com. Came with harness. You can view the details at http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heatedseatkits/index.html. The model I got was the Innovative Heat II.

Removing the seat trim on a defender is "So simple, a caveman can do it". Both base and back strip off like a t-shirt. I ran the wiring through the back of the seat, and both seat wiring through a floor grommet under the console to the underbody, and back up through the one of the bulkhead grommet blanks to the fuze panel. The one thing I did that the instructions didn't include, was I ran both leads to a relay, and powered the relay from my cigar lighter ignition power source. I think each seat will demand up to 5 amps (60watt). The two switches for both seats are mounted on my Iron Goat console. Read the instructions and let me know if anybody wants a particular pic of something.

Each seat took about 30 minutes to install, however tag on an extra 2 hours when I tried (and succeeded) in tying both power leads into the vehicle fuse panel, which i preferred to having the seperate inline fuse holders that came with kit harness. It was after the fact easy, but I have got to figure out where i can get the female connectors that are the correct size for the fuse panel sockets. the standard size we will all find at your local autoparts store are not the correcte size to use.
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

easy heat solution (especially for diesel)

I need something fast...it's COLD in Chicago so I ordered one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5036A8...&s=home-garden

The Golfcat by Coleman...no freezing install...no fear of blown up gas tanks...hope it works cause
the diesel just has a tough time gettin warm when it's 10 below fahrenheit.
George
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Janey came with supplemental heater bolted to the back of the cubby. It was the same dimensions as the cubby width and height and about 4 inches deep. It was plumbed in line with the main heater and consisted of two small heater cores and a blower. You can ask Mike H and Ron how toasty it kept them on the trip across country in the winter. Its at my place in CA, but I could take some pix when I get back down there. Its an extremely simple design, but looks very Rover. I think someone could easily fabricate a few.
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I've also got a Canadian D-90 with the aux heater under the pass. seat. Mine is Shite. If it truly does have heater core lines going to and from it, though I could not see any easily, I would strongly lean towards the Mojave Heater. It would be such an easy swap because I already have all the power leads and switches installed. 12,000 BTU is equal to 3500+ watts per hour. That's a lotta heat.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
Nah, ya better bring the 110! Where'd ya get the kit?

Damn troublemaker!

You back from down South yet?
The kit came from AB$. Maybe you'll see it offered in the vendors specials section now that they have a presence here.

Yeah, buddy, I'm back. I'm stuck here for the next couple weekends. Sheri's headed to the Great White North to work the Quest again, so I'm stuck here feeding her livestock. Bud's will be the highlight for me for the next couple weeks. It's cool though, I have some new rover goodies I've been meaning to install.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Yeah, buddy, I'm back. I'm stuck here for the next couple weekends. Sheri's headed to the Great White North to work the Quest again, so I'm stuck here feeding her livestock. Bud's will be the highlight for me for the next couple weeks. It's cool though, I have some new rover goodies I've been meaning to install.
Ahhh yes forgot about that. Cool, glad to have ya back. Ya' done good things down there.

See 'ya at Buds!

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Janey's heater was nice. Terrible plumbing job, but a nice heater kept the one side kidney nice and toasty. It also had the advantage of being very low relative to the level of coolant in the radiator. Great for heat, bad for leaks.
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
[QUOTE=Rod Hayward]The kit came from AB$. Maybe you'll see it offered in the vendors specials section now that they have a presence here.

Ok, I'll bite these will be on sale just until 2-12-07 when I leave here on the 12th the sale is over. Item#8982H Reg price 649.95 D-90 source sale 599.95. Please contact me directly for the sale special.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Eric you're a stud.

I spoke to you on the phone a couple of times over the years and you were very helpful.
If you're leaving for good on the 12th, I'm sure you'll be missed.

Old February 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Nope, I'm just leaving my desk and heading to Winter Romp in Maine www.winterromp.org. Actually I'm spending the first 3 days of vacation working on the Hybrid since I will have some free help in town for the week. No worries I'm a lifer here I have 14 years in and I don't see a change in the near future.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater