Aux fuel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 30th, 2006, 10:44 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Aux fuel

Ok, of my many projects for the D, I really want to fit an aux fuel tank. I have found threads on here and looked at the custom mod section and wondered if this the best way to go. I have asked around and found most of the kits that they used to sell, don't exist anymore. Most of the threads I have found are years old regarding this topic.

So, I was wondering if anyone has done this and if it is feasible to track down the parts to do it? I would really like to extend my overland range without carrying cans. Also, I wouldn't mind carrying cans externally if I could find a decent carrier for the rear. Are there off the shelf products or would this be a custom job also?

Bill
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2006, 08:11 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i considered doing this too but also found that a lot of the information lacked to detail to really get anywhere. i am interested also in what anyone has to say on this topic.
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:05 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Bill I have an defender Aux tank if interested.
i assume it would be pretty easy to set up an external fuel pump and pump directly into the main tank.
Let me know if interested.
781 640 2640
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2006, 09:35 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You pretty much have two choices. Buy an LR Aux tank (really is a main tank for the tdi models), such as Ron's. This will cause you to lose the storage space in the seatbox under the passenger seat.

Or go to a boat builder who build aluminum tanks and ask them to build you one that's reinforced and does not force you cut out the seatbox space .

Either way, I would recommend plumbing to the main tank with an aux fuel pump, as Ron stated. Make sure you have a return line that will function as an overflow.

Also, you'll need to decide how to deal with the filler. I was okay with cutting the body . But it's a big step.
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:40 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I've always hated the addition of a second filler on the body as in the typical aux tank setup.

Since the aux tank sits higher than the stock tank you can't rely on gravity to simply fill up both. Some pump setup would be needed so:

- when filling up, the pump will draw fuel to the aux tank until full
- the stock tank will then continue to fill
- when the stock tank runs low (say 1/4 tank) manually flip a switch to pump fuel from the aux to the stock. You'll have to look at the stock gauge to stop the transfer.

So, this will need one pipe between the tanks with one reversible aux pump. If the controls are manual then it's a pretty simple setup. If you want automatic controls (with an option to enable the system or not) then you will need a way to read the level in both tanks. That means a sender in the aux tank and some basic electronics to set limit levels.

As for a tank, I prefer a custom fuel cell type. No rust.

Finally, move the battery into the engine bay and hook up a second setup in that area. Now you got serious range!
-
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:09 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
How do you propose filling? Place the filler under the seat? Hope you don't use a vented gas cap.
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Start the usual fillup for the stock tank and flip the aux pump switch. The aux tank will fill until full or you shut it off manually.

The pickup for the aux will be at around the 1/4 stock tank mark so you don't run it dry. 1/4 is safe but you can go less.

Under seat access to the sender and pump is all you need.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm sounds a bit complicated as you will need 2 pumps in one tank, not to mention 3 hoses running between the 2 tanks and you need to remember to turn the fill pump for the second tank on when you go to the gas pump.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

No, no, no.

Assuming there is a reversible pump available, you install one in the aux tank. Also assuming that if it is off it will stop flow, then one line between tanks is all you need- fitted to the main tank at about the 1/4 tank level. Otherwise you'll need to wire a valve to control flow direction.

You fill up the stock tank as usual. When full, you switch on the aux pump and it will fill up its tank, stopping when full (signal read off its sender). You can then continue to refill the stock one. Not a difficult scenario and quite simple.

With a little bit of feedback control you can have the aux pump work automatically:

- standard mode: when the main sender reaches a low the aux pump will come on and fill the main. Again, 1/4 tank seems good. Since the aux will have less capacity it can simply drain itself.

- fill mode: flip the aux switch to "fill mode" so pump flows correctly. Aux pump will suck until aux tank is full. Again, if line is at stock 1/4 tank there is no danger that it will run dry. If level in stock is less than 1/4 then pump will not draw until that level is reached. Obviously, a good pump that can run dry is preferred. With a time delay of a few seconds running dry it will then sut off.

Nice setup!
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

I use the auxiliary tank Rover Accessories sells. It's 9-10 gallons, has a separate filler (which required some body-mods, but looks totally stock), a transfer pump, and no sender. Although pricey (compared to the two jerry cans it replaces), it's one of my favorite mods, and one of the few to actually make a difference every single week. The tank sits behind the passenger seat box, so you don't lose any of that storage. The bottom of the tank slopes up from the frame to my sliders, not extending below either, so doesn't create any significant clearance issues.
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:23 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Ron, I sent you an email. Trevor, I haven't been able to find anything like this on any of the LR parts sites. Is there any online info about this tank or do I need to give them a call? What is pricey?

Bill
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have a standard Tdi tank in addition to the NAS tank. I cut a hole in the top of the tank and installed a MOCAL filler in that location. I fill from under the seat, which isnt a hassle really, saves cutting the body and installing piping, and no smell eminates into the cab because the box cover seals up nicely.

Being diesel, my fuel pump is engine driven so I didnt have to worry about an in-tank pump, all I had to do was plumb the system with the correct feeds and returns through a central switching valve.
Old January 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
Trevor, I haven't been able to find anything like this on any of the LR parts sites. Is there any online info about this tank or do I need to give them a call? What is pricey?
I don't think there's anything about my tank online. I'd just call Charles d'Andrade at Rover Accessories, 1-800/ROVER-55. I think they're around $800. You can tell him Trevor referred you. I did my own installation, except for the bodywork part.
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:39 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Tarr
I don't think there's anything about my tank online. I'd just call Charles d'Andrade at Rover Accessories, 1-800/ROVER-55. I think they're around $800. You can tell him Trevor referred you. I did my own installation, except for the bodywork part.

Did they improve that tank? Charles sent me one a year ago. It was the worst design and fit/finish I had ever seen. It was returned promptly.
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:03 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

David, mine is probably the same generation as yours. I'm happy with its design and fit/finish. I actually bought it from its original owner, off eBay. (He had made some mounting modifications, and Rhinolined it.) Although the tank seems well-built and rugged, Charles has been exceptional about standing behind Rover Accessories' products with me (and plus he's local).
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:58 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Does it still hang at or below the frame rail?
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:18 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

William, let me know if you need pics of the tank. It looks to be about a 10 gallon tank, not sure though.
781 640 2640
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

another option, if you don't want to cut into the body to install a second filler, is to install the filler neck in the wheel. I have a 90 with a tank similar to Marchand, holds 10 gallons and fills in the wheel well. It has it's own fuel pump that it controlled by a switch in the cabin. Basically when my main is low I throw the switch and it transfers from the auxiliary tank into the main. When the aux. tank is empty the aux. fuel pump automatically switches off, so as not to burn out the motor.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:12 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Does it still hang at or below the frame rail?
Dave, my RA tank sits about exactly at the frame rail. I've got Rockware frame sliders, so my frame is actually a tiny bit lower than stock.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

here are some pics of the tank. Let me know if you need more info
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel