Automatic Transmission flush or drain? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 31st, 2014, 05:45 PM
white 1997 Defender 90 NAS
Automatic Transmission flush or drain?

Hey people; I have a 1997 D90 automatic with 82000 km. Low, I know, but I'd like to change over to Amsoil synthetic. Should I flush or drain? I realize a lot of oil stays put from a draining but aside there any concerns about flushing these auto transmissions? Of course I have a new filter/screen ready to go. Thanks for any input!

Old May 31st, 2014, 06:55 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
The way to do it is to just drain and refill with non-synthetic ATF. Do the filter if you must. Be aware that even at those miles there is a small chance the thing dies from the change. Doing the drain and refill minimizes that risk. I would not flush.

*not legal advice*
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:59 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
AFAIK, ZF does not recommend synthetic fluid for these transmissions. In my experience, synthetic fluid may damage the governor seals. Just change the oil at the specified intervals with the specified fluid.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:52 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
X3. I would not flush. I have the same truck and have taken this advice from these guys here years ago and all has worked out very well. Mine is my daily driver for almost 10 years and she's up to 135k with no issues. She been the most reliable vehicle I've ever own. Staying up on fluids and filter changes is sort key to these tractors. If your fluid is clean that's a great sign and that should give you comfort all is well. Simple drain and replace without over/under filling should be fine.

Good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

drain, transmission