automatic tranny, gears dont line up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

automatic tranny, gears dont line up

Hey Guys,

I have a 97 with the stock automatic transmission. My problem started today. The shifter no longer lines up with the gear that the transmission is in for some reason. I also no longer have reverse.

I have no idea where to start or what to do. The truck never even remotely had this issue.

Please help me out.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
How far off is it?
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Jason,

On the drivers side underneath, check the selector connection to your transmission, the auto console connects to this and selects your gears. It may have come loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	36187  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

it is off by a full gear at least, nothing is in the correct spot and I have no reverse.

Safari Dust I just went outside and look at that connector and it is connected.It moves a little bit but nut seems to be tight.

Does this mean the console shifter is jacked up or even worse, something inside the tranny that, that thing controls ?
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter2904 View Post
it is off by a full gear at least, nothing is in the correct spot and I have no reverse.

Safari Dust I just went outside and look at that connector and it is connected.It moves a little bit but nut seems to be tight.

Does this mean the console shifter is jacked up or even worse, something inside the tranny that, that thing controls ?
Jason, it may just be the shift console...I would get someone to shift the console and you look at the connector and see if its moving in small increments as they shift the console.
I assume you have check the simple things like fluid level already.
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Your truck just got a new frame, right?

I am sure it is just the console shifted or the connector came loose or something.
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

yep, ECR just did a new frame. Problem is they are far away and i dont have cash to have this fixed.

And to be honest I have no idea where to start or what to do to even fix the shifter.
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is a cable. It has been a while since I messed with one, but it is all pretty self explanatory IIRC (this was a disco, but same set up). If you can't figure it out, I am sure ECR can walk you through it in 10 minutes on the phone.

Download the repair manual for a disco I or RRC and look at the section on adjusting the transmission shifter cable and linkage.
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

just got off the phone with mike. There are no adjustments to make. Back to ECR it goes to see whats wrong.

This truck is becoming a money pit. Wife said this fall the truck goes and she does not care we just spent 32k on repairs to it.

At this point I dont blame her and buying a defender was a poor choice of vehicles for us.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions