Automatic Gear Shift Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Wildcat
Nick
1997 Defender 90 SW

Automatic Gear Shift Questions

Apologies in advance for the stupid question, I've only had my D90 a week...and it's been a dozen years since I owned my last one.

I noticed the lights around my gear shift wouldn't illuminate with the headlights. I was in the shop today for a 90k mile service and they replaced the gear shift illumination bulb.

Now the shifter is illuminated at all times, regardless of whether the headlights are on. Is this normal for a 97 NAS D90 or should they only illuminate when the headlights are on?

In addition, the gear shift surround (with the actual letters/numbers on it) is VERY hot to the touch when the vehicle is on. I haven't taken the infrared thermometer to it yet, but I would guess it's getting above 120 degrees when the lights on. When the bulb was burnt out, I didn't feel any excess heat from this area. Can all that heat be from the bulbs that illuminate the gear shift? If so, have people been replacing these with LEDs?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Nick, I'm not sure about the illumination on the shifter on the NAS but I linked mine to the lights as I thought it was sensible when I built the truck.
I've replaced the bulbs on mine with LED's as I also noticed the surround was hot despite me changing the rating of the bulbs.

regards
Gren
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post
Hi Nick, I'm not sure about the illumination on the shifter on the NAS but I linked mine to the lights as I thought it was sensible when I built the truck.
I've replaced the bulbs on mine with LED's as I also noticed the surround was hot despite me changing the rating of the bulbs.

regards
Gren
try LED replacements they run cooler
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:53 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Light is on all the time - try a smaller bulb, if you ever pull the console. Mine is hot, too.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Oannes
Aaron
1997 NAS D90 (Original Dream Car)

After it went out the 2nd time I put LED replacement in mine ran cool always and never went out again.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. Sir Winston Churchill

1973 Series II 109 5 door (Australia)
1997 NAS Defender 90 (Already sold so)
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD (work horse)
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Wildcat
Nick
1997 Defender 90 SW

Thanks for the replies. I will move forward with the LEDs. Do you know what size/style LED I need to order to replace those bulbs?

Can I easily replace them myself or should I leave it to my mechanic? I haven't tried to pull that area apart before, so I'm not sure where to start.
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Wildcat
Nick
1997 Defender 90 SW

I'm going to order LEDs soon to replace my interior lights. Does anyone know what type of bulb is needed for the automatic gear shift illumination?
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Wildcat
Nick
1997 Defender 90 SW

I still haven't ordered my LEDs to take care of this project. Does anyone who has done it before want to chime in on the correct type of LED bulb I need to purchase for this?
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Ian Gregory published a list here of LED replacement bulbs for the '97's.

You may also want to look up the thread here about how to service the shifter film issue about how to prevent them from prematurely failing & a less expensive replacement unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions