Auto Trans Inhibitor Switch wire color codes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Auto Trans Inhibitor Switch wire color codes

Does anybody have the wire color codes for the automatic transmission, 4HP-22, Inhibitor switch (RTC4937)? I am looking for what wire goes to what. The Trans I have has four wires coming out of the switch, Black, Black/Lt green, Lt green/Brown, Brown. I believe one is for the neutral switch and two are for the reverse light? I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that tells me what I am looking for.
The 97 NAS wiring diagram shows a Black/orange to the neutral switch, Green as reverse light feed in and Green/Black reverse light out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Here is the wiring diagram, colors on the diagram correspond to the wires themselves:
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

Thanks, I found an old Disco harness and the color changes from one side of the plug to the other. Might be the German plug was meant for more than one manufacture. Here is what I found However

http://www.diakom.ru/CAR/Rover_Landr...RAMS/14631.pdf

Since the auto is going in the Defender with a 14CUX my question is the BY feed wire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shift interlock electrical.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	88670  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I had to dig into mine this weekend, ergo why I had the diagram handy. It seems the feed from the fuses differ from what RAVE calls out. Turned out the wire,green purple, that feeds the interlock solenoid shorted out somewhere in the loom. So I ended up replacing it. Rave says Fuse 18 feed that system, yet mine blew 17, go figure. Let me call up the transmission side of the plug from RAVE tis evening. I have to do a screen shot to get the pages as the program has issues printing to PDF.
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

I'm stripping that plug out the old Lucus 14CUX loom tonight to splice into my new loom, will post up the colors then if you want....
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

Thanks guys appreciate the help.

I also tested the switch. The Brown and the Ltgreen/brown wires are connected, by the switch, by completely depressing the switch
The Black and the Black/Ltgreen wires are connected, by the switch, when you partially depress the switch
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Thanks guys appreciate the help.

I also tested the switch. The Brown and the Ltgreen/brown wires are connected, by the switch, by completely depressing the switch
The Black and the Black/Ltgreen wires are connected, by the switch, when you partially depress the switch

So, pop the switch back into the box, stick it in reverse & see which pair are connected... the other pair will be the start inhibit.
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

Yep that is what I was thinking. Engine is not ready to go in the truck yet. I am trying to get all of the wiring harness set up as much as possible. This maybe the last bit I need to figure out, I hope.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch