Auto Trans Cooler Lines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 30th, 2006, 02:57 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Auto Trans Cooler Lines

Looking to reduce my garage floor rust proofing rate of aplication.

I have a leaky Autobox cooler line. The crimped fitting is loose enough that I can turn it by hand.

My question to the group: What is the strength difference between the crimped fitting and a good quality hose clamp.

The crimped fitting is not an hydraulic fitting. it is more or less just crimped sheet metal. I looked at putting a hydraulic fitting ferrules on it, but I am pretty sure that the pipe will get squished under the load of crimping, making matters worse.

I am leaning toward good quality hose clamps and new hose.

Any Input??????

Mike

Oh ya...... new cost $150, and yes George has them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It all depends on the type of crimped fitting. A good double-ear clamp can hold quite well, though not totally as strong as a ferrule. I prefer a good crimp style clamp over a hose clamp since it can flex with the hose as it heat cycles. Rigid hose clamps don't do that, and as the hose expands and contracts over time it starts causing leaks. Not so much a problem in your cooling system where you have a relief valve built into the radiator cap, but in a higher pressure hydraulic system it can be bad.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Mike,
There's a place up in Denver called Emrick & Hill that redid my oil cooler lines and ps lines -Really nice work.
I'll bet they could repair/replace your transmission line better than OEM and slide in well below $150 to boot!
Just drag your line in there, plop it on the counter, and ask what they can do with it.
They're nice, helpful people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Monkeyboy

You know that Pendy (and PT I think) use the braze on barb fittings and then hose clamps, right?
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong
You know that Pendy (and PT I think) use the braze on barb fittings and then hose clamps, right?
I've done that with many PS lines on Discos and never had a problem. Dremel off the collar that protects the barb, replace the rubber, and clamp away.
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM
redrover

I buy my explosives from Emrick and Hill. Seems wierd they have such a diverse company. JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions