Auto to R380 swap in a 97 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Auto to R380 swap in a 97

Any thoughts on possible hang ups going from auto to R380 in a '97? Major parts needed? R380, Clutch plate, Pressure plate, clutch lines, pedal box/reservoir, tunnel...other concerns Im missing? Would this stuff bolt right up to the 4.0? Any electrical/relay issues?

Any experience or insight is appreciated

Keith
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Hey Keith. I have done this conversion. It was years ago so some detas might be hazy. Mostly straight forward. Hardest part was the electrical and faking the truck out. Let me think on it and I will try to write it all down.
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

and the R380 gearbox crossmember.

Other than that, should be more or less nuts& bolts and a little wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

so maybe just short the switch wires into thinking its tripped?
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

If you get a r380 with flywheel, clutch parts, it will all bolt to a 4.0 no problem. The pedal box is pretty easy as if I remember correctly the holes and outlines for the box are in the bulkhead and just need to be cut out. So the mechanics are not a major deal. The electrics on the other hand are kind of tricky. The main thing is you have to like mentioned earlier "fake" the motor out that the tranny is in park. So if I remember correctly that was not to hard to do once I figured out which circuit was needing to be modified. Then it was matter of making that circuit closed. It is hard to remember exactly but I think the shift solenoid closes a relay when the truck is in park or neutral then when in drive it opens the relay. So find that relay and just bypass it.

Once that is done there is one more thing that needs to be done electrically. I thought I had it all done then went to fire it up and nothing. Turns out on a 4.0 there is a sensor on the back side of the flywheel. It is in the back side of the motor side where the bell housing mates up. It has a probe of sorts that protrudes into a groove on the back of the flywheel and rides in a groove and senses something to do with speed of the motor spinning or something of the like. I have some circuit diagrams for a 1997 90 and found it by happen stance and got lucky it was the problem. If I remember correctly the problem was that it was long enough now to reach the groove of the manual flywheel. The auto flywheel sat closer to the sensor. So I simply removed and either removed a spacer of sorts or modified the spacer so the probe sat further in.

That brings up a good point that you need to make sure you buy a flywheel that has that groove in it. I know this is hard to explain but I did this like 7 or so years ago.

Maybe someone else can expound on this a bit.
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:02 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Thanks Tyler, good information to start with!
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

I have all the parts if you are looking If you have access to a test book of some sort the electronics should be able to be dealt with

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, r380