Auto dim mirror - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Auto dim mirror

I remember reading somewhere that it was possible to transplant a discovery 2 auto dim mirror into the defender. Am I right?? anybody done it?? where do you pick up power for the mirror/compass?? May mirror is fading bad and thought this would be a better replacement.
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Also look into the Gentex brand mirrors. They are what GM uses as factory and are really very nice. I put on in the Wife's vette, and am planning on one of my own as well.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Is it possible to wire the mirror into the existing map light circuit? My factory map light is broken ('95 ST), and I've been looking for a replacement (are those available any longer?) If I can't find a replacement, I plan on going with a mirror with map lights. I'd want the lights to illuminate when the door was opened, but I don't know if any of those have three-way switches where they could be used in door - off - on modes.......any advice on either of these questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

I was thinking about tapping power from the courtesy light too. Will it work? They are on ebay all the time and can be had for as little as 50 bucks in good used condition.

Hans, Thanks for the tip. Gentex has some really nice options but it's a little more than I wanted to spend right now. Ever seem them on fleabay??
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I put the Auto Dim Mirror out of a 96 D1 in mine. There are 3 wires on the mirror:

Ground.
12v (Switched).
Reverse Sense (senses when in reverse and 'un-dims' the mirror).

You will probably need to run new wires because the interior light uses a switched ground (on a 97 anyway) and a constant power. The ground is switched by the multi-function unit in the dash for the light delay timing.

HTH

Ian

Follow-up Post:

Sorry, just noticed you have a 95. Don't know if the interior light circuit on a 95 is the same. Check you have a constant ground and switched 12v. I doubt it as these circuits normally use the ground to switch the light on and off through the door pins and a constant 12v so you can have the light even when the ignition is off. I think you will most likely have to run new wires.

On the 98 D1 with map lights in the mirror. The lights are fed by the same 12v supply as the mirrior, internally. So you wouldn't be able to switch them independently through your interior light circuit.

Another point to consider is how to mount it. LR uses mirrors from a company called Magna Donnelly (for the D1s at least) and they use a different style of mounting to the standard US units. The NAS Defender mirror uses a standard US style mount glued to the windshield, so if you used a LR unit you would need to fabricate some form of bracket to mount it to. The Gentex ones from what I have seen use a US Style mount and might mount direct to the Defender windshield stud possibly. No idea on how the Gentex units are wired.

Thanks

Ian
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have a GM one in my ST and it works well for dimming... not so well with the compass. I have a 110 auto-dimming mirror I bought from Stempe, a year back that I have not installed. I am planning on selling it for the $50. I have in it plus shipping.

Old August 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Speak of the devil! I just read this. I replaced mine with one off ebay. There are really two big manufacturers of them; Gentex and I forget what the other one is. They make 90% of the factory ones. When I was looking I really wanted the compass and temp features, which is why I replaced it. I looked at all the ones on ebay that were factory take-offs, but decided to pony up for a new one with everything. Most of the take-off ones on ebay don't have the sensors included and/or don't have the connector for the wiring. So far I am very happy with the one I bought. I believe the one I bought was Gentex and came with the temp sensor and harness included, brand new. It was extremely easy to install as well.
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Found this on eBay for kicks. Seems to come with the harness and all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mito-Auto-night-Dimming-Comp-Temp--Mirror-50-genk20A_W0QQitemZ110420878029QQcmdZViewItem
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:05 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I put a gentex in both of mine. The mirror will not come on automatically when the door is opened, but all other features work awesome. Temp, compass, and led maplights are great to have in the D90.

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions