Auto Conversion Idle Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Auto Conversion Idle Help

Anyone here do an auto conv and have idle problems. My 110 was converted to auto and it will die at startup somtimes or when you come to a stop sign. I read on ECR's website they mess with the ECU when they do there auto conv but I would not know where to start. Shifting is good and the problem is spuratic(sp?). I dont think the shop who did the job did not hook up the starter inhibit switch or the park safety switch. Any thoughts would help. The problem is not real bad just real annoying. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

May not be related, but sounds like the IAC (stepper motor). I wonder if it's not compensating for the bit more of load that always being in gear is putting on the motor.
Old November 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Michael, Maybe You Should Just Sell It To Me That Will Get Rid Of Your Problem All Together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I don't think the auto trans and your idle problem are related.

If this was recent work, get in there and check all connections to the stepper, ECU, etc.
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Mark, if I sell you my last Land Rover I might have to buy a mini van or a j**p and we all dont want that.

The work is not recent. The PO had the conversion done a few years back and he said the intermittent problem started after the auto was installed. I dont know what a stepper motor is but I will find out and check it. Thanks, Mike
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

The idle on an automatic is higher to eliminate stalls when turning the torque converter while your foot is on the brake. I would guess that is what is reset in the ECU.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Mike, I will look in the wiring diagrams in the service manual and see if it shows some kind of connection from the shifter to the ECU. I believe the way it is supposed to work is when you put it in gear it raises the idle.

Follow-up Post:

It looks like the Auto Shifter is connected to the Multi Function ECU at C062-3 (BK,0.5).

Do you have any wires connected from the shifter to the harness?
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil
Anyone here do an auto conv and have idle problems. My 110 was converted to auto and it will die at startup somtimes or when you come to a stop sign. I read on ECR's website they mess with the ECU when they do there auto conv but I would not know where to start. Shifting is good and the problem is spuratic(sp?). I dont think the shop who did the job did not hook up the starter inhibit switch or the park safety switch. Any thoughts would help. The problem is not real bad just real annoying. Mike

The park/ inhibit switch must be tied into the ECU. If it isn't done it will cause idle flair and such when shifting into Park and a low idle when in gear, like when you are at a stop light.
Hook the truck up to an Auto-Logic or other unit and in the settings you can see a window that indicates the gear. It either will or will not show a difference when the truck is put in gear. In the Auto-Logic it says "Drive" when in R or D and "Park" when in P or N. If you don't see this change that means the ECU still thinks is a 5 speed and its never gonna have 100% at idle or in gear.

Email me if you plan to do the work yourself and I'll tell you what to do to hook it up correctly.
That or take it back to the shop that did the work and tell them to complete the job.

This is the same thing that happens with the new AC systems, like the ones RN sells. The installers don't tie it into the ECU and then you'll get a low idle, or even a stall when the compressor kicks in. Then folks start messing with engine adjustments to try and "cure" it, when the problem was just the ECU not knowing when te AC was on in the first place.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Thanks, Mike. I will email you. I am going to try and do it myself. I have access to an Auto logic. I tried the shop who did the work for the PO and they were less than happy to even talk about let alone fix it. I just wish you guys were on the west coast and not so far away.

Thanks again. Mike
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM
azD90
Kevin Houseal
1994/D90

If not the stepper, I just read this...(fell under RRC tips, not sure the 90 is the same but it said v8s...)
http://www.roversnorth.com/web/downl...le-air-gap.pdf
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Michael did this fix your problem? I also have 110 with a poor auto conversion and I have the same issues. The park safety swith especially with little kids and dogs running around is my biggest concern.
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

I have not fixed the problem yet. Mike at ECR pushed me in the right direction but I have not really worked on the truck for awhile. My idle problem would come and go but now it seems it is getting worse so I will have to address it soon. I will post what I come up with once I start playing with it. Mike
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Sorry resurrecting a very old thread, but I am having the same issues with my automatic 110. Mike, did anything come of your situation? Thanks in advance!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, idle