auto box swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2011, 01:29 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

auto box swap

Has anyone done a write up on swapping the LT77 or R380 with an auto box ? Toying with the idea of dropping in a Disco auto box in a 110, still not sure if I would have it powered by a 4.6 V8 or a 300tdi . Is a computer needed for proper shift points in the Auto box , or can it stand independently like the GM TH350 or TH400 transmissions ?
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Chris,

One of the things I was told about having the 4.6L on my DI, is that the ZF 4HP22 will not handle the torque. I never had an issue. But I know first hand of guys that had issues with the 4HP22 and their 4.6L.

One option for the 4.6L is to get the Ashcroft ZF 4HP22 with the ZF 4HP24 guts. (see the stage 1 and stage 2 options)

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...d&productId=51

The Disco I does not have a tranny ECU... The DII with 4.0 have the electronic version ZF 4HP22 EH

I have no knowledge on 300tdi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 21st, 2011, 11:58 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I am currently building a 90 project and have gone with a 4.6L mated to a RRC 4.2 classic tranny. There is a guy here locally - Nick Markiw who made my shifting set up from a kit off of summit (I can't remember the shifter) but the set up turned out nice if you need the shifter, I can get you his info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Clay are you going EFI or Carburetor ? , wondering if getting a classic 4.6 rangie and using the entire engine , and trans might be the easiest way
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

They did make a few automatics with the 300 Tdi. In order to overcome the power loss they made it drive by wire and played with the adjustment on the pump. From what I have heard it still was not as peppy as the R380.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
Clay are you going EFI or Carburetor ? , wondering if getting a classic 4.6 rangie and using the entire engine , and trans might be the easiest way
No classics came with the 4.6 as it was introduced in 1996 in the 4.6 HSE and that transmission will not work.

The transmission you want is the ZF HP22HD out of a 93-95 LWB. Keep in mind that you need everything on the back of the engine from the same truck (ie a GEMS or 14CUX) if you are swapping in an auto.

What drivetrain was in the 110 originally?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm bulding a 110 now with 4.2 and auto box. Using a D1 shifter and an Ascroft defender auto console.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Not sure what came stock on this 110 from the factory , but right now it has an LT77 and the V8 with blocked off injection ports running edelbrock intake and carb
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
They did make a few automatics with the 300 Tdi. In order to overcome the power loss they made it drive by wire and played with the adjustment on the pump. From what I have heard it still was not as peppy as the R380.
Fly by wire was only on the 97's and 98's to my knowledge. It was an attempt to compensate for the power loss from the egr and catalytic converter that came with those model years. Tdi auto's started in with the 200 tdi disco's up to the 97 year with no fly by wire. I have a tdi auto trans and am considering doing a 300 tdi 110 auto. If I do it I'll use a 1.4 tcase not the disco 1.2.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Fly by wire was only on the 97's and 98's to my knowledge. It was an attempt to compensate for the power loss from the egr and catalytic converter that came with those model years. Tdi auto's started in with the 200 tdi disco's up to the 97 year with no fly by wire. I have a tdi auto trans and am considering doing a 300 tdi 110 auto. If I do it I'll use a 1.4 tcase not the disco 1.2.
transfer case depends on what tires you have, with 285s 1.4
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

So best options so far look to be
1) 300tdi, ZF HP22HD mated to the stock 110 1.4 transfer case
2) 3.9-4.2 disco motor, autobox, stock 110 1.4 transfer case
3) 300tdi ; 595 Ashcroft adapter , and V8 auto box again with 1.4 transfer box
4) ?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
transfer case depends on what tires you have, with 285s 1.4
All 110's have come with 1.4's or 1.6's up to the td5. 1.2 is too tall for a 110 auto imo

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
I have one of each, both in Range Rovers and the auto (fly by cable) is no slower than the 5 spd (seat of pants). The motor for the auto is actually rated as slightly more powerfull than the Defender version by a couple of horseys.

If you use the V8 auto trans with the diesel you'll need to do some additional work to the torque converter and change the governor housing or it will have some ugly shift issues. The standard diesel version HP22 is fine unless you are planning on some significant power upgrade to the motor.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Prior to Matt sorting this out, I have pretty good experience with the V8 hp22 behind a diesel. You can get away with it for about 1-2 years. You will experience no 1st gear and very little 2nd gear if you don't address the valve body and torque converter. The auto will eventually eat the 2nd gear clutch pack and contaminate your fluid and valve body. You'll experience no shifting out of 1st once this happens. The symptom of the clutch pack contamination is no shifting out of 1st or reverse until the trans fluid warms up.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
All 110's have come with 1.4's or 1.6's up to the td5. 1.2 is too tall for a 110 auto imo
i would go with 1.2 with 4.10 lockers personally with a set of 265s. I've had that and loved it, great on the highway, a little underpowered offroad unless the tcase was in low, but daily driving around without big hills in my town it was great.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
i would go with 1.2 with 4.10 lockers personally with a set of 265s. I've had that and loved it, great on the highway, a little underpowered offroad unless the tcase was in low, but daily driving around without big hills in my town it was great.
That's a great set up and I use it frequently.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions