Attaching limb risers to an ARB bullbar - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It works best when you use razor wire.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Werrea
Anthony Werre
08 LR3

I still want to know the definition of "That Guy". It may be something of interest trying to become. Sounds like a super special title. One of rarity and hard to obtain. Wait.....that would be a perfect sticker! I must have it now.
Old January 15th, 2016, 10:59 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werrea View Post
I still want to know the definition of "That Guy". It may be something of interest trying to become. Sounds like a super special title. One of rarity and hard to obtain. Wait.....that would be a perfect sticker! I must have it now.
If you have to ask, you're probably "that guy". :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2016, 11:12 PM
SGS714
Scott Striglos
3xRRC 2xD90 2xD110 Series II, IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It works best when you use razor wire.
Well said!

67 Series II
71 Series IIa 88" ACR 2.8 Power Plus
89 RRC 2 door VM 2.5TD
93 D110 NAS #327
94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076 ACR 4.8, 1161 SBC
94 D90 NAS now a D110 HS 2.8 aka Project Wolf
95 2x RRC
1-SWB,Doing the LS Gen IV 98% Done
1-LWB 300tdi
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I disagree. You haven't wheeled in Oregon I take it. I've found them useful and I wish still had them on when I was out last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Actually the Expo-sexual thing is running limb risers in the first place. Let's face it folks, there's no place in the contiguous states where limb risers are actually needed. I've wheeled some seriously thick forest in northern Wisconsin and Michigan's UP and never have I found myself wishing for them. If you're running the Camel Trophy or doing a photo shoot then go for it. Otherwise don't be "that guy".
Old January 16th, 2016, 09:12 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

No. Have you wheeled in Northern WI? How about the UP? There's lots of trees in lots of places and as far as I know there's no definitive list of "thickest bush".
My statement was just my experience. I think a lot of people install limb risers and then they see a branch rise up them so they think that without them they'd have a broken windshield, which isn't really true.
Bottom line is i really don't care of you run limb risers. I think they are completely unnecessary, most people just like the Camel Trophy look of them, and most sets are made poorly by drilling an eyebolt through the brushbar and whatnot.
I did post a pic of a HD mount that looks good and is completely removable, so I'm not being a total pain in the ass.
Old January 16th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werrea View Post
Spend some time on ExPo and you'll find many of 'That guy.'
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The "that guy" comment almost always comes from someone who is overly concerned with what people think of them. So yes, I think you really do care or you wouldn't have made the comment.

Personally I don't have a problem with people thinking I'm "that guy" because I don't care what people think. I care if something is useful. I have a set that I find occasionally useful. I put them on when I need them, if I can remember it. I find them particularly useful on a Defender and especially here in Oregon. Not all trees are the same. The thick fir branches we have here in Oregon can slap pretty damn hard on the windshield even when going very slow. I prefer to avoid that and I don't necessarily want to go out and chop down every tree or branch that could potentially interfere. I've also gotten whipped across the face while inside the truck because I had my window down. That was the moment I decided to build a set. I've also had a large branch lodge in between my roof rack and roof above the front wind shield and tear of from the tree. The risers prevent that from happening again.

All I'm saying is just because you haven't found them useful, doesn't mean that they're not useful to anyone. It just means that you haven't found them useful. I don't care about the risers. I just have a pet peeve against sweeping statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
No. Have you wheeled in Northern WI? How about the UP? There's lots of trees in lots of places and as far as I know there's no definitive list of "thickest bush". My statement was just my experience. I think a lot of people install limb risers and then they see a branch rise up them so they think that without them they'd have a broken windshield, which isn't really true. Bottom line is i really don't care of you run limb risers. I think they are completely unnecessary, most people just like the Camel Trophy look of them, and most sets are made poorly by drilling an eyebolt through the brushbar and whatnot. I did post a pic of a HD mount that looks good and is completely removable, so I'm not being a total pain in the ass.
Old January 17th, 2016, 01:57 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I think I bought my truck from "that guy." And it has limb risers. But I took them down, since I don't use them, but I left the mounts up. So I'm good, right? Right? ;-) jk

But in all seriousness, the home depot route is the way to go. Then it looks utilitarian, which they are, and not overthought or overdone. Plus they are removable. I have those previously suggested rubberized cable clamps and SS braid from my brush to my rack. Simple, cheap, and effective. Just roll up the line and keep it in your go bag when your at the mall! ;-)

But if I had the cojones, or the coin, I'd have a set up like Carl's, with eyelets welded, to do it properly.
Old January 17th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
Quote:
Actually, I lost a windshield back in the day in my old CJ7, would have been nice to have them instead of forking out
Yep, thinking exactly the same only in a CJ5. The antenna had a nice small ball on the tip and a branch hit it. Thing vibrated and the smacked the windshield which then cracked. Same trip ripped the spare tire off the side. Just drive more cautiously now.
Old January 17th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I think a classic 'that guy' pic is the one of the FJ cruiser with limb risers in the desert.

------ Follow up post added January 17th, 2016 09:59 AM ------

I like how Mike Boggs made his go to the roof rack and roll bar.

Old January 17th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I think a classic 'that guy' pic is the one of the FJ cruiser with limb risers in the desert.

------ Follow up post added January 17th, 2016 09:59 AM ------

I like how Mike Boggs made his go to the roof rack and roll bar.
Yes, and truth be told, there are many trails in Virginia( the ones that are still open anyway) that benefit from limbrisers.
Its amazing how overgrown some trails can get after a few months.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Alaskantinbender
jim
63 series 2A 109 3 door

Registry
Same here except it was an old CJ5......

QUOTE=Daddymow;706357]Actually, I lost a windshield back in the day in my old CJ7, would have been nice to have them instead of forking out for new glass.[/QUOTE]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions