ATF in diesel fuel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
ATF in diesel fuel

Bumped into a guy today who has 375k on his Diesel engine and swears it's because he adds a quart of ATF at every fill up. Is this something that would benefit a 200/300 tdi. I tried the search function but didn't pull up too much.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2015, 06:08 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Now that's a new one. I can't wait to hear what people have to say about it. All I know is ATF is flammable as heck and obviously a great lubricant!
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

Truck drivers use 2 stroke oil and in much lower proportions than a quart in say 18 gallons. I either use diesel kleen or 2 stroke oil. I don't notice a difference but it makes "me" feel good. Don't know about the engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2015, 06:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have heard of this, and in fact Doug long ago turned me onto when swapping out fuel filters on a diesel filling the new filter with ATF - helps to clean out the injector nozzles/etc. I have heard of others putting a quart of ATF or even 10W40 in each tank of diesel as well, helps to improve lubricity (so the theory goes). Now, we are talking about the CHEAP run of the mill Type F ATF here....NOT the synthetic, or Castrol Dexron or anything.

Honestly, it's probably not any different than putting an additive like Optilube XPD into each tank at fillup. That said, the per/tank usage is *probably* lower using something like XPD, and this additive is actually proven to increase fuel economy up to 5% and noticeably quiets a Tdi motor (based on my prior experience).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 10th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
It has been discussed here before.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
I prefere organ oil.
But AFT makes a good job too.
Diesel engines are designed to inject stuff like this.

But it depends on the injection pump!
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:40 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Lubriscity

and its not going to get better with ULSD, its the process of removing the sulfur that diesel loses its lubricity.

even LSD is no gooda in the long run for our older diesel engines, Engines from 2006 are designed to LSD. I have and will continue to use 2 stroke

Taken from another web site " More and more people are using 2 cycle oil to return the lubriscity back to the fuel. They use a ratio of 128 to 1. The study had it 200 to 1. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A DPF"

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Interesting....I just ordered some opti-lube.
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
^^^THIS^^^

I have noticed a difference, and use Optilube every tankful (when I remember )
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:27 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
While the small amount of it you all are pouring into your fuel tanks is probably negligible in the grand scheme of things, ATF contains stuff that shouldn't be burned and blown out a tailpipe. It's meant to stay inside a transmission.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I used ATF in gas engine oil to remove carbon but that was for a brief 500 mile thing. Poor thing hadn't had oil changed in 15k..... But ATF in diesel. Having followed the VW HPFP mess and held off getting one of their Tdis er I'd be wary about it. There are lubricosity improvers out there....
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:36 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Several times I've read about this type of thing with ATF. I sometimes put half a quart into the engine the day before I do an oil change.

I live where much of what is sold is LSD, will need to look into additives when I get the 300 installed.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I have heard of this, and in fact Doug long ago turned me onto when swapping out fuel filters on a diesel filling the new filter with ATF - helps to clean out the injector nozzles/etc. I have heard of others putting a quart of ATF or even 10W40 in each tank of diesel as well, helps to improve lubricity (so the theory goes). Now, we are talking about the CHEAP run of the mill Type F ATF here....NOT the synthetic, or Castrol Dexron or anything.

Honestly, it's probably not any different than putting an additive like Optilube XPD into each tank at fillup. That said, the per/tank usage is *probably* lower using something like XPD, and this additive is actually proven to increase fuel economy up to 5% and noticeably quiets a Tdi motor (based on my prior experience).
^^this exactly

I pre-filled the diesel filter with ATF
I also tossed a half a quart in every few tankfulls
Good results, but it may run a bit warmer
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Biodiesel has the same effect in terms of lubricity and cleansing effect. I used to use Opti-lube XPD.
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:57 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Quite a few stations here in pdx are selling b20 and many strictly b20. No additive necessary. And i am only paying $2.37 a gal. The studies I have read indicate that b5 improves the lubricity more then any of the additives do. I believe all highway diesel sold in Oregon is mandated to be at least b5.
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Some diesel guy from another forum did a reasonably elaborate comparison test a few years ago. I believe I posted a link to it on one of the diesel additive threads on here. Out of all the performance additives, XPD performed the best. It came in at no 2. No 1 was B20.
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:14 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Ah, yes, I didn't think about that -- Bio. And I actually mean to ask you about bio at the ABFM.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:49 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
In the past working on heavy equipment and off road diesels where emissions smoke and the like does not come onto play, I have used all kinds or oils to prime and or start those things.
Kerosene, motor oil, hydraulic oil, mineral, atf,ps...used motor oil diluted with kerosene, gasoline and diesel mix...what ever was available on my service truck to avoid using ether or other starting aids...
On the road semis, once in a while I would use 10 gallons of gas to 100 diesel.
Easier starts, faster rpm pick up, held power longer.
The downside to it, the exhaust would get hotter, egt ran higher, and when you used the jake brake the first 2 feet or so of the turbo down pipe would get red hot...glowing red hot....
Now that's a truckers delight.....
Now a days the new reformulated diesel while wonderful on the new diesels does not too much for older diesels.
Mainly due to rengeneering of the combustion chamber and fuel injector location as well as direct injection...the pressures made by the old injection pump is not even close to the one made by computer controlled common rail and hydraulic.. Up to 100,000 psi...
Back the old diesels I cannot be certain if such abuse caused damage or not. the big 14 to 17 liters run up to 25 to 1 compression ratio vrs the small 14 to 19 to 1 on the small engines.
Some trick such as the gasoline mix I would not try on a small engine.
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:51 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Well if you want to keep a 25 year old pump and injectors going.....they need lube. The new low sulfer is not doing you any favors. I use it....or ag diesel and have had no issues. These things will burn filtered grease if needed.....
Now....beat it to death...and put Blue Ridge on speed dial.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old September 10th, 2015, 10:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

ATF is a very good additive.
I have talked to people who collect used ATF, ran it through a centrifuge and separate out the additives and debris, then burned it in a diesel with excellent results.

Spoke to a guy in South America years ago who's job was to swap out hydraulic oil in manufacturing plants and ran his Mercedes OM617 powered G-Wagon on the hydraulic oil that he had to heat to dewater.
He was up to 1.5 million miles without any injection system issues... amazing!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions