Assembling engine--center main bearing won't fit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Assembling engine--center main bearing won't fit

I have had my crank ground .020" and have oversized bearings, STC4299 020. The center main bearing with the flanged sides won't fit in. I would have to pound it with a mallet, which I am unwilling to do. I did tap it a little down with a wooden dowel, but had to drive it back off, too. My only guess is that for some reason this bearing was cut for both .020" ground crank as well as .010 undersize block/caps. Who the hell knows. All I know is that it screws up my weekend to get the engine built which I was looking forward to and makes me want to punch a wall. Anyone ever seen this? All the flanged bearings I have ever fit went right in with hand pressure. When I fit an old flanged bearing (that was from my old engine, .010" over) it fit just fine as expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Got my second bearing, different vendor, but also a Eurospare/King Bearing. Both of them were supposed to be .020" oversized, but both also came marked FL O/S .010" which is for when you have your center thrust face milled. It should have been stamped FL STD. Oh well. Out of time, so I just carefully sanded the sides of the flange to fit which worked fine, but the crankshaft thrust is only .001" so I will have to tweak that too. FYI if you run into this situation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine