Ashcroft transfer case upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Ashcroft transfer case upgrade

Has anyone put in one of these from Ashcroft?
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_39.html

I'm going to be going with a 2.8TGV (on order, yeah!) and have the stock 1.4 LT230 which is up around 180K and whining like a 2 year old who dropped her lollypop. And it was grape. With swirls.

Ok, anyway.....this is for a 110 and I've heard some mention the 2.8 has about the same getup off the line as the V8 but high revs on the freeway. I'm not concered about street dragging and I don't drive fast around town. But living in the West and going on road trips means 75MPH will be a norm for 1000 miles on end.

I don't want to change the dif ratios as I do take the truck offroad and use low gear often. So I like that the TC gear swap leaves low as it is, taking advantage of the bigger torque on the new engine.

Sooooo.....my question really is, has anyone installed a set of these gears? Or do you have any other ideas for helping out the freeway rpms and increasing fuel milabe a bit?

thanks
pwc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Peter,
I am running the same 1.4 t-case in my D90, and I live at high altitude and frequently tow a trailer. I have been seriously researching a diesel swap and considering what to do about gearing as well. Monitoring my driving, in 5th gear at 75mph, a diesel would be well past it's torque peak with the gears I'm running. I like the 1.4 gears on the low end for trailer towing. I have been looking at the overdrives (Roverdrive) that are available from a company in Canada as a possible solution. If you are not driving in the mountains at high elevations, a 1.2 swap may work for you. I have supplied rebuilt 1.2 LT230s to a couple of people doing diesel swaps and all seem to have worked out ok. I would try and find someone who has a 110/2.8/1.2lt230 combination in your area and see if it works for them.
Rob
Here is the link to the overdrive.... http://www.roverdrives.com/
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Thanks for the pointer Rob. Only problem is, I failed to mention I'm using an automatic with it, making the roverdrive not really an option, unfortunately. It looks like a well designed unit.

pwc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Peter,
I havent researched it fully but...I don't see what difference your choice of transmission makes...the overdrive mounts to the transfercase and all of the transmission output shafts share the same 10 spline dimensions. I don't see why it wouldn't work in theory.
Rob
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

I started reading into "how to use it". You depress the clutch, shift the OD handle two detents forward. Hold it there while slowly releasing the clutch and it'll spring forward and engage.
That last part is kinda tricky....one hand on the OD lever, one hand on the transmission shifter and one hand on the wheel while keeping your eyes over the dash. :-)

I've sent them an email asking if there's a solution because I'd defninetly be interested in picking one up. Heck, they're only 1.5 hours from where I live.

pwc
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK, the link in your first post is for high range gears for Series transfer case.

You would want higher range gears for an LT230.

You want this

This one is the cat's pajamas

The Roverdrive will work fine for an automatic.
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Actually, I want the first link since I already have the 1.4 and want to stick with it. Or is all it is is replacing all the gears to make them 1.2?

As nice as you're second link is, it's going the wrong direction. :-) If I could have that low of a low ration with an overdrive for the highend, without changing out the R&P, I'd be happy. And poor.

pwc
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Peter, the right now the high range gear reduction in your t-case is 1.4 to 1, changing it to 1.2 to 1 will give you lower RPMs at the same speed and it won't change the low range.

The first link John posted does just that.

The second link does that and it also gives you a lower low range. It drops the low range 80%. That is the T-case I am currently running. I am not sure Ashcroft is ready to start selling that over hear again. I had problems with the first one they sent, and we never figured out why, but the second one has not given me any problems.
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM
ashtrans
Dave Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarey
Actually, I want the first link since I already have the 1.4 and want to stick with it. Or is all it is is replacing all the gears to make them 1.2?

As nice as you're second link is, it's going the wrong direction. :-) If I could have that low of a low ration with an overdrive for the highend, without changing out the R&P, I'd be happy. And poor.

pwc
Hi, Red 90 is right, you cannot fit the Series High ratio transfer case to a LT 230 on a 90 or 110, you need the 1.211 Q gears or to be honest it will be cheaper for you to just fit a D90 or Disco I transfer case, you will get the same result, raising high range by 15%.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:46 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Ok, now I'm a bit confused, which is normal. Looking at these two items:
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_39.html linked by me at the top and
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...mponent_2.html linked by Red90.....they are the same.

Am I missing something? My understand is the case for the 1.4 and 1.2 are the same. Further, this page http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_36.html seems to be the same thing (at least the pictures are the same) and the exact same concept.....take a 1.4 gearing and change it to the 1.2Q gears.

Is there some magic I don't see? I like the crawler gears but just have to work out the cash flow. It would be easier than having to work the OD only when in 3rd and 4th gear. Easier for my wife too, which is a consideration.

Mike, any comparison what it's like around town in stop and go with the 1.2? Did you upgrade to the 4.11 R&P?

Who on here has a 1.2 in their 110 with any type of motor? How's the real life driving in city traffic?

pwc
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Peter, that link is weird, when i first hit it this AM it went to the disco gears, then when I hit it this afternoon it went to the Series gears, now it's back to the disco.............. Anyway

You can feel the differance between the 2, with the 1.4 I didn't need to downshift on the highway with the exception of when i was loaded going up long hills, and that is turning 35s with 3.54 gears. The 1.2 is fine around town, I can start in second but it really lugs the engine down, but on the highway i have to shift a bit more often to get the RPMs up while going up hill.

Yes the 1.2 and the 1.4 are the same with the exception that the high range is different, the low range remains the same.

The crawler box rocks! It is great off road but I don't know anyone using one and an auto. Do you offroad it allot? What conditions are you offroading in? If I were you I might just leave the stock t-case in there, and after the 2.8 goes in if you find it reveing too high on the highway then swap in a 1.2.
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Peter,
I agree with Mike...I'd do the engine swap and at least drive it with the 1.4 box/automatic and see how it feels. If your t-box is noisey, it sounds like you'll be doing something with it regardless and this way you can make an informed decision about which ratio to use. The size and weight of the 110 is similar to the Discovery which would have had the 1.2 box. I think that coupled to the auto trans, the 1.2 t-box would be ok unless you run fully loaded all the time. I had a customer come through a while back with a NAS 110 with a 300Tdi, ZFauto, and 1.4 t-box. They were traveling and living out of the 110. He said that he had kept the 1.4 box due to the large load that they carried, but that top end was limited.
Rob
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Thanks for all the input. First or second hand knowledge helps.

Ok, so I'm not the only thinking that page changed since I saw it first.....cus it wasn't the one it is now, which caused confusion.

As sad as this seems, I keep forgetting I have a 1.2 at a friend's house that is rebuilt but out of site, out of mind. Since the 1.4 is making a racket and making it hard to listen to my daughter in the back seat, I might take your advice and turn it around Mike. Put in the 1.2 with the 2.8TGV and see how it is. Some road trips will take me South on I-5. Some will take me over the mountains.

As for how it will be used. I'd like to think moderate wheeling at best. Nothing hardcore, more family stuff with occasional weekends out to cause carnage. But it's been a while, since it's been running like crap and I was waiting to purchase the 2.8. As mentioned, low is the same in either so I'm not worried there.

Hmmmm....Going camping we are a bit loaded with 3 of us, 2 dogs and a fair number of 'luxury' items, plus we'd like to take more longer trips where extra gear will fill the truck.

We need a coin flipping icon. To make life simplier, I might just put in the 1.2, which is ready to go, and work on the 1.4 rebuild (which it needs anyway) while deciding to put it back in or not.

thanks again for the input.

pwc
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:54 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

What size tires. I doubt you will want to have a 1.2 transfer box behind the diesel in the heavy D110. This is my experience.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:39 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

235-85/16
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Broke It
Dave Butler
99 disco

You could always swap in a different gear set in the transfer case, and rebuild the stock trannie. When you go to a larger tire, gear down the axles to compensate for the higher final gear ratio. This puts more strain on the axle shafts, but the power feels the same off the line. If the truck is really heavy or pulling heavy loads upgrad to a 4pin spider or throw in an ARB This along with stronger axle shafts will keep you having fun and not breaking things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case