Defender Source Forum banner

Ashcroft LT230 ATB Diff

Tags
lt230
3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  roverman2010 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Ashcroft Transmissions

I've read it can minimize drivetrain slop and can help on low friction surfaces...but I don't have open diff front and rear, I have a Detroit locker in the back and a truetrac LSD in the front and I can't seem to find much about that combination of front/center/rear.

My worry is that the Detroit in the rear may cause a little too much drivetrain windup for some reason...but part of me thinks this wouldn't be a factor because the front wheels travel farther than the rear

I understand how a limited slip diff works between two axles but my brain starts to hurt with four axles, two driveshafts, another LSD, and a mechanical locker. Anyone who can shed light on the idea would be appreciated.

It's for a '94 D90 and I'm looking to reduce drivetrain slop and reduce wheel spin with an unlocked center diff on sand.

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Interesting idea. It seems a bit like the BW box on RRC yet remains manually lockable as well.
I have a Detroit on my truck. Tend to drive with the center diff open unless at an obstacle which suggests a little extra caution/traction is desired.
If I had a BW box on a RRC would I worry about a Detroit in the rear? I doubt it.

#6 ·
I found reading the description on their Web site good, from it I take the the ATB works as a Saftey if you happen to hit a icing spot with one wheel and it spins out control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.