Defender Source Forum banner

Ashcroft Lockers?

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ashtrans 
#1 ·
I was inquiring with Justin at Lucky8 today about ARB locking diffs. He recommended Ashcroft lockers over the ARB's. It was the first I'd ever heard of them.

Anyone running them? Heard anything, good or bad?

Thanks in advance,

Spalding

#2 ·
The Ashcrofts have built their own and have corrected all of the things that they have seen fail on ARBs. It should be a much better locker. I think they describe all the differences on a Pirate thread.

#6 ·
They've had nothing but good feedback on their lockers. some of the extreme competitors on the D44 site have been testing them for a year or 2 before they came on sale to the general public, and there was no failures at all.

And they're slightly cheaper than ARBs. use the same compressor (or your own air feed) and build up in the 3rd member same as the ARBs do.

#9 ·
I was inquiring with Justin at Lucky8 today about ARB locking diffs. He recommended Ashcroft lockers over the ARB's. It was the first I'd ever heard of them.

Anyone running them? Heard anything, good or bad?

Thanks in advance,

Spalding
Hi,

we have now sold over 750 worldwide with no failures,

they don't leak air,
they don't break,
they lock when you hit the switch
they unlock when you hit the switch again
they are cheaper than ARB's

what more can I say ?

full write up on the design is on our website :

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=89

Dave

#10 ·
. . . what more can I say ?
Hello Dave,

Thanks for responding to this thread. I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the ideal pressure range for these lockers? I plan to use manual valves and they are rated at 150 psi.

2. Do you recommend the addition of an air filter to the air supply? 5 microns okay?

3. How thorough is the documentation supplied with the locker? Installing lockers is beyond my expertise (and that of my tool box) so I will be farming this job out to someone who has installed ARB lockers before, but probably hasn't worked with Ashcroft lockers before.

4. The Defender that these lockers will be going into is my daily driver. Any caveats that I should be aware of? Noises or any drivability issues to be aware of? I'm sure the answer to this one is no, but due diligence requires that I ask. . .

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Spalding

@ Landy Andy - thanks for the reference re: the Devon 4x4 forum. It has been a good resource.

#11 ·
Hi,

1. What is the ideal pressure range for these lockers? I plan to use manual valves and they are rated at 150 psi.

we use the ARB air compresser, normal or compact version is fine, these work at 70-100 PSI, I doubt 150 would be a problem for the locker but the solenoid may leak,

2. Do you recommend the addition of an air filter to the air supply? 5 microns okay?

not really required but wouldn't hurt I guess

3. How thorough is the documentation supplied with the locker? Installing lockers is beyond my expertise (and that of my tool box) so I will be farming this job out to someone who has installed ARB lockers before, but probably hasn't worked with Ashcroft lockers before.

they come with instructions and these are also on the web site if your fitter wants to look in advance but basically it's very similar to the ARB but the pipe does not run over the crown wheel like the current ARB design.

4. The Defender that these lockers will be going into is my daily driver. Any caveats that I should be aware of? Noises or any drivability issues to be aware of? I'm sure the answer to this one is no, but due diligence requires that I ask. . .

none at all, when unlocked it will be just the same as it is now,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.