Aschdroft Crawler Gearsets - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Jay
Jay Frem

Aschdroft Crawler Gearsets

I have heard that two of Aschcroft gearsets have borken. I am considering it for my disco altough Dave has stressed more the underdrive for me which I cannot afford plus shipping will be a bitch to Lebanon in terms of weight, customs and so on not to metion the snug fit under a disco.

Appreciate your feedback on the Ashcroft Crawler Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2005, 11:21 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jay, you might want to read this....http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=6951
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:24 AM
ashtrans
Dave Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
I have heard that two of Aschcroft gearsets have borken. I am considering it for my disco altough Dave has stressed more the underdrive for me which I cannot afford plus shipping will be a bitch to Lebanon in terms of weight, customs and so on not to metion the snug fit under a disco.

Appreciate your feedback on the Ashcroft Crawler Gears
Hi Jay,

Due to the 2 failures, we have withdrawn this product for the forseeable future,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Jay
Jay Frem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtrans
Hi Jay,

Due to the 2 failures, we have withdrawn this product for the forseeable future,
Dave

These crawler gears could be awseome and are needed if the problem could rooted out.
Do you think it is the metal treatement in the gears or the way the LT 230 is built that it cannot take more than a say 30 or 49% reduction??

What difference is their between the MD designa and yours

thanks
Jay
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Man, I feel like a jerk for breaking them. But I totaly agree Jay, they are needed, and they are a perfact gear reduction!
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Jay
Jay Frem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Man, I feel like a jerk for breaking them. But I totaly agree Jay, they are needed, and they are a perfact gear reduction!
Mike if you broke them then they are not strong enough.....I understand how you feel. Sam happened to me when I borke my 4.11 but GBR replaced it free of charge back then.
By the way Mike what R&P are you running and have you had a chance to enjoy these gears in tough crawling situation where you would need a 90:1 on 1st low
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I did test them off road a bit, they are Kick ass! I was able to smoothly crawl up some granite ledges that normally makes me a bit nervous due to a step drop off on one side, but the gears give you that extra amount of control that you need. Oh and on steep down hills where other manual trucks were going a bit fast and bouncing down I was able to easily go down in complete control. As far as I am concerned they are the perfect gear reduction. First gear low enough that I would loose traction while idling and 3rd was high enough that if I needed to bump over something I still could.

Stock gears in the R&P, 3.54 with 35" tires.
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Jay
Jay Frem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I did test them off road a bit, they are Kick ass! I was able to smoothly crawl up some granite ledges that normally makes me a bit nervous due to a step drop off on one side, but the gears give you that extra amount of control that you need. Oh and on steep down hills where other manual trucks were going a bit fast and bouncing down I was able to easily go down in complete control. As far as I am concerned they are the perfect gear reduction. First gear low enough that I would loose traction while idling and 3rd was high enough that if I needed to bump over something I still could.

Stock gears in the R&P, 3.54 with 35" tires.
Mike

Yeah with stock gear I am sure you would have enjoyed them since on stock your low should have sucked witha 3.54 R&P and LT 230 your first low should have been 39:1 not low enough for crawling.
With the ashcroft your first low should have been 70:1....
I can't wait to have such gears. With 4.75 R&P 36" tyres and the situation I am putting the truck in I need lower gearing.
It is so depressing when you look at all the option available for low gearing in the TOy and Jeep markets...

You can still get low gearing by shifting to 4.11 Gears or 4.75 or even consider the TOY conversion.

Jay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions