ARP Main Studs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Mogly406
Jay
'62 IIA 109 coil sprung

ARP Main Studs

Hello - I am rebuilding a Rover 3.9L engine (non-cross bolted version) and purchased an ARP main stud kit. I am getting somewhat mixed messages as to what I should torque these to. In the box, ARP specs say to use their moly lube and torque to 110 lb-ft. This seems like a lot and I have read about problems with stripped threads when torquing to ARP's values. The place I bought the stud kit from says they lube with 30 weight motor oil and torque #1-4 to 75 lb-ft and the rear to 80 lb-ft. This seems more reasonable, but still considerably more than if I just used standard bolts and torqued to the Rover values (which is 52 lb-ft for #1-4 and 66 lb-ft for the rear).

My question is has anyone used these main studs and what lube and torque value did you use? I would especially like to hear from someone who has the stud kit and been running for a while w/o problems

Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I've used plenty of ARP head stud kits & torqued them to 80 lb ft per ARP, but I've not used main studs. You might try talking to D&D Fabrications. The guy is pretty squared away WRT these motors.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I installed the ARP bolt kit on my 4.6 cross bolted engine a couple years ago (ish). I too was confused, and i still have my emails from Kammy at ARP Sales and Tech and they recommended 80ft-lbs using their lube which is what I did. Everything has been fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Mogly406
Jay
'62 IIA 109 coil sprung

Thanks for the responses, it helps a lot. I also just noticed that on RPI's website, they claim to torque the ARP main studs to 90 ft-lb, although they don't comment on what lube they are using.
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly406 View Post
Thanks for the responses, it helps a lot. I also just noticed that on RPI's website, they claim to torque the ARP main studs to 90 ft-lb, although they don't comment on what lube they are using.
I dont build engines but I used regular motor oil on my head studs. I know its a different part of the engine, woudlnt any light oil would be suitable.
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Short answer is no. Watched one of those episodes from spike TV on weekend mornings. They showed with different lubes such as motor oil vs. (ex.)ARP specified lube and there was something like 10lbs. difference sure it could be found on youtube or spike website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I dont build engines but I used regular motor oil on my head studs. I know its a different part of the engine, woudlnt any light oil would be suitable.
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Short answer is no. Watched one of those episodes from spike TV on weekend mornings. They showed with different lubes such as motor oil vs. (ex.)ARP specified lube and there was something like 10lbs. difference sure it could be found on youtube or spike website.

You have your anwer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions