Are Michelin Cross Terrains Evil? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Are Michelin Cross Terrains Evil?

Need group opinion-
I know I asking a bunch of people who actually use their Defenders, but my wife only drives hers on the road. Is there any good reason not to put on a set of Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires? Their treadlife rating is soooo good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yes
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I guess it makes the truck too - poseur?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

1. Your wife drives a Defender! Did you find her like this?

2. Get some swampers and headphones.

C. or you could just say they are your "on road tires" even though you never take it off road

:. Michelin Cross Terrain SUV do they use these on Discos? If so then I think you may be in the clear.

Has your wife been off road? Chances are if she has not and you take her off road and let her drive she's going to want swampers anyway.

Oh and I think if you put on 49s" and some stickers you would be a poseur if it never went offroad. I realy don't think you can own/drive a Defender and be a poseur.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
holy cow you should take it offroad man. whats the point having a Rover if its on the road or used for what its for? why not just drive an eco car something that gets good economy instead of riding a gas sucker around? Dont get me wrong I love Rovers and 4wd's it just irks me to see them all being used as grocery getter and mall crawlers when something that is better for the earth would do that job better?
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:54 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

I took the evil Michelin Cross Terrains off my Disco II (wife's car ),and put on 265-75-16 BFG AT/TA-ko's I had to lift it of course, but the ride is much better, and they will last 45K mile or more.

I also have the same setup on my 90, but sometimes I wish I would have gone with the 285-75-16
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Well, you see, I bought the thing to do a diesel conversion and pull my Alfa Romeo around. The wife hi-jacked it and I havent seen it since The diesel conversion has to wait until time and money intersect, but in all actuality, the d90 spends some time crusing around range roads and dirt paths. My wife & I are both in the Army, and it is oh-so convenient to be able to go out and recon your road-march route, or be able to get the POV (Privately Owned Vehicle - Army for "your own car") near a field training site.

My main concern with the Cross-Terrains was that they are not load rated, and I thought the d90 was supposed to have a tire with a load rating of D or better. Is that just TireRack propaganda?

Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

All tires are load rated even car tires its the law. Check Michelins website.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Check out the michelins xps tractions. They are similar in construction to the XZLs but have much nicer road manners. Good on road handling as well.

EwS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions