Are K&N, Amsoil, etc air filters worth it? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Are K&N, Amsoil, etc air filters worth it?

When Shane @ RoverHybrids was installing the 300 Tdi he mentioned that he wasn't a fan of K & N air filters. Instead he sticks with the stock LR filter. Recently I came on this study that reinforces what he said.
http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I`m not sure how they`d be with a 300TDI, but the K&N was no good to my 3.9 V8. For some reason when I had the K&N in the 3.9, power would cut out above 3400 RPMs. I switched back to the paper filter, and the issue disappeared.
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

No deserts around here, but I had heard they were bad with lots of sand and dust. I could see how something oiled might not work well in that application. In very humid areas, paper filters can become soggy and too restrictive.

Maybe someone else can chime in.
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Interesting report. Unless I missed it somewhere, I can't tell for sure (without looking up all the PN's) which are paper filters vs oiled. I'm guessing that the AC Delco, Wix, Baldwin, and Purolator are paper, and everything else is oiled. Given that, there's also quite a variation in performance amongst the paper filters. So without testing the LR filter (which is what I run), it's hard to know if that's the best choice. Does AC Delco make a filter that will fit in our trucks? But it's also the most restrictive so there is that trade-off.
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
I`m not sure how they`d be with a 300TDI, but the K&N was no good to my 3.9 V8. For some reason when I had the K&N in the 3.9, power would cut out above 3400 RPMs. I switched back to the paper filter, and the issue disappeared.
I run K&N's on my D-90, and ran them for a long time on my '96 Discovery. Never had any such problems on either truck, and over alot of miles in the Discovery, even when towing our old boat. That sounds like a very strange problem to have been caused by an oil filter...

I have no complaints about K&N's (use them on other vehicles for a couple of years now as well), but can't say for sure that they are any better, but no experience to show they are any worse..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
When I bought my truck it had a K&N in it and 58,000 miles. I have kept it in ever since. It is now 204,000 miles and 8 years later. I don't know of any problems associated with the filter and I certaintly haven't had any issues or repairs related to dirty oil. I do know that the filter costs about $50 and has lasted 8 years. If I was replacing the regular paper filter every 12,000 miles or at least once a year I would have bought somewere between 8 and 12 papaer filters, so the higher intial investment dosen't sound bad.
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I installed a K&N in my '94 3.9L a couple years ago and when I fired it up for the first time I thought I had created a serious air leak somewhere under the hood. It turns out it was just the rush of air being sucked into the trumpet like never before. No noticeable increase in power or fuel ecomony though. If fact if I see 250 miles to a tank of gas it was because the last 25 was downhill and empty. I cannot see there being a problem as I have run K&Ns in all my vehicles for years, but then again we are talking about Lucas electrics.
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

the data

Generaaly the data is pretty clear. Its just a tradeoff between filtration and airflow. The most restrictive but best filtration is paper. Foam (ie KN) is least restrictive but offers the least filtration. Cotton or synthwtic gauze is somewhere in between.

Whether or not its worth it depends on local conditions/need for filtration vs how you feel about engine life. If you value that extra 10 hp over the extra few thousand miles then its worth it. I prefer the potential for a few extra miles of life but that's me.

Keep in mind most people that claim a major performance boost for KN filters are comparing the difference between their old dirty paper filter vs a new KN. 90 percent of the boost they perceive just relates to having a clean filter period.

Plus I have yet to hear of a paper filter actually collapsing due to moisture. I ran paper filters in a rainforest for crying out loud and never had a problem.

My two cents. Comes down to the tradeoff and how you feel about it.

B
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
javelinadave
-
-

AMSOIL is no better than any other name brand synthetic oil. They will show you all these fancy tests and studies but they would only hold true if you change your oil on Feb 29th on every leap year. Save your cash and buy what is on sale. If you can find a cheap source for AMSOIL, use it.

KN gets a lot of negative comments on many different forums but I like mine. I like and wheel in Arizona (lots of dust) and I have yet to have any problems. Is it worth the cost? Not to sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions