Are front springs handed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM
William Challancin
97 NAS D90
Are front springs handed

I having a problem with my new Terrafirma suspension set up and thought someone may be able to offer some help. The front driver side spring is occasionally rubbing the frame / bump stop bracket during braking and or cornering causing some annoying noises. I have a Bearmach adjustable panhard rod fitted and the spring / frame gap seems about the same on both sides. I have two questions:

1. Are front springs handed? I ask because I recall that they were labeled driver and passenger but don’t recall if I had enough common sense to install them backwards for a LHD vehicle.

2. is there a procedure for adjusting the panhard rod? Should the truck be jacked up by the frame or sitting on the ground??? I just adjusted it until the spacing felt about the same, the adjusted the drag link until the steering wheel was centered again.

Thanks for the help.

Attachment: my new Co-driver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00030-20100320-1155.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	26171  

William Challancin
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
1997 NAS D90
2005 110 TD5
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI
Did you replace all the bushings when you fitted things? If it is only happening under load that points towards a dynamic part not a static part being the issue and in the front end that would be the bushings for the most part. Are you 100% sure the radius arm nuts are torqued down all the way?

For adjusting it you can do it by building a big square and using it to align the front and rear hubs on one side.
-- - Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly - Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts! - Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions